Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14FF QUESTION

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 87BrnRsd, Aug 22, 2003.

1. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I will be swapping a 14ff out of a 1 ton into my 87 K5 in the next couple of months. I know that the spring perches need to be relocated 1 inch out, but am unsure of the shock mounts. Where do you move the shock mounts in relation to where they are on the 1 ton 14ff, and where they need to be to fit my K5? Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -Harrison

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> THe shock mounts on each side of the axle need to be swapped to the opposite sides of the tube, for some reason they are backwards in the 1 ton. At least that's the way they were on the 87 1 ton 14b that I put in my 78. On mine the passenger side goes forward and the driver's side goes back, the 87 14b was opposite.</font>

3. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

You'll also need to get a conversion Ujoint where your driveshaft bolts to your pinion yoke. 1310/1350 joint. Your e-brake might not match up either so you'll have to fab up something to work.

4. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Im going to be running an echobit flip in the rear, so I bought a lengthened rear shaft with the 1350 series yolk already on it so I dont need the conversion joint. As far as the e-brake, what is on it that doesnt match up? I have heard that it might not match up, but why wouldnt it, and why is it that it MIGHT NOT match up? Thanks for all the help yall. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -Harrison

5. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

What year is the 14FF out of? Inorder for the E-brake to work it needs to be out of an 84 or newer I beleive. Your e-brake set up is like mine. You have one short(drivers side) and one long(passenger) coming off the axle. On the older axles the cables were the same legnth.

I have had my 14 bolt in my K5 for about 6 months now and I hate no having the e-brake. The biggest thing you have to pay attention to is that the rear brakes will not automatically adjust as the pads start wearing. You will have to get under neither it adjust the star so the rear brakes will keep pulling their fair share.

Hope that all made sense.

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    work it needs to be out of an 84

[/ QUOTE ]

Close. '83 and up are the years. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

R U sure?

I can not remember how many times I have reference the LMC catalog for the trucks and K5's and I am 99.9% sure it states 84.

Not that LMC is a 100% accurate reference manual, but I have found that it give you something to visualize with.

8. pomai

pomai 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I took the backing plates off of a 84 1 ton chevy van with a S/F 14 bolt, and it bolted right up to my 1 ton F/F 14 bolt. worked perfect.

9. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    R U sure?

I can not remember how many times I have reference the LMC catalog for the trucks and K5's and I am 99.9% sure it states 84.

Not that LMC is a 100% accurate reference manual, but I have found that it give you something to visualize with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny you should ask. Who's word are you gonna believe when you are reading flase info from a catalog and from someone who has 18 years of experience from studying the GM line of trucks. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Now to do a friendly wager with your: what have you got to lose in a bet with me? $5? $10? $50? Hell, make it $1 million dollars! Go to your nearest GM dealer and look up that info. Just be prepared to pay me the $1M. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

LOL, If I would have had your resume, then I would not have doubted you. That is good to know. Gives me one more year to look for.