Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14ff ring gear torque

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Sep 4, 2006.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I looked in the Billa Vista 14ff bible, and it says the ring gear sould be at 120ftlbs. I recently had it lincoln locked, and it hasn't been torqued back to spec yet. I suppose the easiest/only way to hold it in place to torque it will be to put the carrier back in the 14ff.

I think Billa Vista says to torque it in an even pattern, kinda like torquing tires back down. This seems like it will make for ALOT of turning the tires back and forth to get it all torqued down evenly.

What's the best way to go about this? I'm thinking of throwing a floor jack under the axle, popping the t case in neutral, and alternating between turning the tires over, and letting the jack back down. I guess I'll have to do this several times to torque it evenly. I'll probably throw a little dot of paint on each bolt when it has been torque to spec.

Is there any easier way to go about this? I really wish I could find a way to secure my carrier OUTSIDE of the axlehousing, so I could just torque all the bolts down to 120ft/lbs evenly in a couple of minutes...

Anybody tackled this in a way different than what I'm planning on?

thanks,
    James

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ring gear torque is 110. You should be able to hold the carrier between your legs and torque it or put it in a vice if you have one.

3. 78Suburban

The vice sounds like a good idea :bow:

4. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

I doubt most people can hold the carrier, between their legs, with such force to torque all the bolts to 110+ ft/lbs.

well, whatever way you do it you should probably go back over all the bolts a second time to make sure that there wasn't any additional settling of the ring gear which could loosen the bolts. :ignore:

5. 78Suburban

Yeah, I just tried to hold the carrier inbetween my legs.. that carrier OWNED my skinny butt.. and I'm not sure that its gonna fit in my vice out in the shop next door either :doah:

6. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

you have to have a decent sized vise to get the carrier to stay in there good enough to be torqued. When I torqued mine I squeezed it in my press. I took an old set of carrier bearings and dissasembled them so I had only the inner most part of the bearing. I then placed the inner cones of the bearing against either side of the carrier and tightened up the press. It put more than enough force to allow me to torque the bolts very easily. I dont know if that made sense but if you have a press and some extra carrier beagins you can do it really easily. :wink1:

7. 78Suburban

I don't have a press.. sure wish I did... too bad I don't have an extra/broken 14ff axle shaft laying around, I bet I could just throw the splines into the carrier and chuck the shaft into the vice and torque it..................I'm probably gonna end up putting the carrier in the housing and torquing it that way, because I can't really think of anything else..

8. 78Suburban

I haven't gone out there to fool with it still, but I did just think of one more idea for torquing it down OUTSIDE the housing.... put a piece of wood on either side of the carrier (to protect the sides of the carrier and the bearings) and jam the carrier inbetween a floor jack and a truck bumper. I dunno if this would hold it in place or not, but I think if I used two boards, it wouldn't damage the bearings.. I might give it a try.. good idea or bad idea??

9. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

sorry to say but sounds like a bad idea, it would really suck to make the mistake of having that carrier pop out from under the truck and then you have a jacked ring gear which means time for a new ring and pinion. A nice little $250 plus mistake, more than that when you figrue the carrier bearings will probably be gone too. Stick with the vise.