Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14FF shaved

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 45acp, Aug 4, 2001.

1. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Has anyone ever cracked one of these after shaving the case off the bottom? I don't want to shave the bottom for clearance and then have to put a rock guard on it to keep from cracking it. I know anything can be broke but this looks pretty thick and probably strong enough after removing maybe a .50" of material.

<font color=red> Bill, "Shop Rat" </font color=red>

2. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

I drag mine over everything,I think this new fad of shaving the pumpkin for an additional 1/2" of clearance isnt gonna let you go over something that I cant make it over........I think a good thick cover with the bottom rounded so it doesnt catch and a good lift and large tires is all you need .......KEEP IT SIMPLE!!!!
    Dont get me wrong there are many upgrades that make plenty of sense but why go through the trouble to gain a 1/2 "
    JUst my .02!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

It's a game of inches (sometimes even 1/2 inches). Everything counts.

Anyway. Taking a 1/2" out of the botton of a 14 bolt shouldn't weeken the houseing at all, It looks like there would still be atleast a 1/2" of casting still left. Even if the the houseing is beaten, it should still hold up. If I recall correctly, I seem to remember Stephan Watson being pleased with how well the diff shaveing worked in the TTC.

<font color=red>Twiztid</font color=red>

4. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Using this logic, an inch bigger tire wouldn't matter, either. A couple grinding wheels is a lot cheaper, too.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I think there's more to it than just an extra 1/2" of clearance. The fact that you can make the bottom of the housing smooth instead of having that huge boat anchor lip on it really helps. So far I've been in several situations (high centered in ruts) that I've been able to just barely claw my out of, and without the shaved diff would have probably have been stuck.

6. I agree, the smoothness factor will help alot. And 1/2 is a 1/2 inch. You also have to remember that when you go up 1 inch is tire size your only getting 1/2 more clearance. So adn extra 1/2 inch and the smooth ness to help slide on through go be the difference between you getting knee deep in mud to get yourself out or you just givin a bit more gas to "break on through to the other side" Just like Jim Morrison said. [​IMG]

Damn I need to learn how to use my welder!![​IMG]
    (90 Jimmy 350 TBI, 14 FF/10 bolt, 4.56, tires ??
    (ftn96)

7. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

I agree, if you have a smoothe plane to slide off the rocks, its makes all the difference in the world. I ended up making my own skidplate to both provide the smoothe surface and give a little extra protection for both the pumpkin and the diff.

http://www.rockreadyk5.com

8. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

SO you made a skidplate,how does that compare to ginding a 1/2 " of metal from you dif to gain a half inch of clearance and the last time I bought tires I dont think I went 1" bigger,if you get bigger tires than what you are runnig now its gonna be alot bigger,plus I you want, let me know and we can go somewhere and test this theory....you go through with a shaved diff and Ill got through without.....etc.etc.etc.
    No offense jsut my .02................

9. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

I dont really follow what you were saying.... but let me clarify. My diff is NOT shaved. I just fabricated a bolt on skid plate. I have tested it and its GREAT. I ran for 2 years w/o the diff and would always get caught up on that anchor lip that it has. Now with the skid plate I went to the same exact spot and purposely scraped the diff over the same very rock that caught me up and guess what? I slid right over it and barely noticed it. Isn't it amazing??? So I do NOT need to go with you anywhere just to satisfy your opinion. My $.05

Crawlin the rocks with my K5
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.rockreadyk5.com>http://www.rockreadyk5.com</a>

10. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Smooth is most important, clearance is next. I haven't had any problems yet, and it's slid over a few rocks that would have stopped me if it had a lip. There's a pic in my TTC section on our home page of how much it was ground. I'm not terribly concerned about it. I'm a willing test pig, and it's fine so far.

I think grinding the 14 bolt pretty much puts it solidly into the "best axle ever" catagory. There's always room for argument, but it's hard to beat the beef, the price, the cheap detroit, and the fact that it'll bolt into our K5s. Without grinding/smoothing, it was fine with 38's or bigger, but not really a super choice for smaller tires if you wheel where you can hang up, now it's pretty good all around.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD

11. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Well OK, I guess that I will go with a clean shaven face or pumkin. Thanks for the input guys.

<font color=red> Bill, "Shop Rat" </font color=red>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Shop-Rat>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Shop-Rat</a>