Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14FF Spindle Locknut question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by scrappy88, Sep 21, 2003.

1. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

Ok I just got finished tearing down my 14 bolt. When I took off the spindle nut, there was a small clip, a square key that fit into the spindle and notches in the nut to lock it, and then the nut itself. There was no thrust washer. On top in the picture is a typical Dana 60/14 bolt spindle locknut kit (minus the lockring with the tabs). And on the bottom is what I just pulled off my 14 bolt. There's just the 1 nut, the key, and the clip. In the different writeups on 14 bolts that I have read, I haven't ever seen the style I have. Anyone else have this style locknut? And should I keep it or go with the 2 nut style with the lockring instead? Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

From what I've torn apart in all the 14FF's I've messed with, it appears the bottom nut with the key came out in somewhere around '85 as I've yet to see this type in an '84 and older. I also know the M-series 1 1/4 tons came with the bottom type nuts.

Doesnt' matter which set you use. I kind of like the single nut/key setup since the single nut is the same thickness as the double nuts. Just easier to use the woodruff key rather than the tang washer.

Basically, I say its a toss-up between the 2 types. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif