Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14FF spindle removal HELP!!! PLEASE!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Jul 24, 2000.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Well the saga continues, now I find out the spindles are shot on the 14FF I am building. I spent all day sandblasting it and painting it and noticed the spindles are rusty looking and pitted. I didnt realize the spindles came out...Now I cant figure out how to get them off. Anyone have any good tips?? Mudzer had a good idea but I cant get them to budge, I feel stoopid but I cant figure out how they go back on after I get them out too.

2. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Sorry to be the one to bring the bad news, but the spindles on the 14 Bolt FF do not come off. If they are in bad shape, the entire housing has to be replaced. I have heard some places will weld on a new spindle, but was told thats a bad idea for strength reasons. Hope this helps

3. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Thank you Waxer, I give up on this axel thing. I am going to see if anyone needs any of the parts and throw the case in a ditch.

4. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Don't throw it away just yet. The bearings don't ride on the whole spindle, just parts of it. Can the surfaces be cleaned with some emery cloth where the bearings and seal go? It would have to be in some really bad shape to trash the whole thing. Maybe you could post some pictures of the damage and let others give you a second opinion, before you give up completely. Just a thought.

BIGJ

5. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I tried to clean it off with steel wool and it is not going anywhere, I even gave it a shot with the sandblaster and nothing. It is pitted....I rember when I bought it it made a grinding noise...I thought the brakes were rusted and rubbing, but I have a feeling it was the bearings rubbing on the rusted surface...Its shot

6. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

The inside of the bearings DO NOT turn on the spindle. If it's rusty where the bearings ride, it's not that big of a deal, of course unless it is really deep pits. If its rusty in between the bearings, then no problem. I'd run that sucker!!!

ken

7. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Ken you may be my savior, I went out and did a mockup with the drum and the outer bearing where its rusted doesnt touch the spindle its self, the bearing is contained in its self and rests on the spindle, so your right it may be ok!! I think I will run that sucker. Im glad I posted about it!