Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14ff spindle's

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazing86, Apr 19, 2002.

1. blazing86

blazing86 1/2 ton status

14ff spindle\'s

Are the spindles on the 14ff servicable? A buddy of mine bought an axle and the spindlle has marks on it like the wheel bearing locked up in it or something. The axle leaks out the drum now and i was wondering is there anything i can do to fix this. Getting a new axle or sending this one back is not a option
    thanks

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

Re: 14ff spindle\'s

welding and a jig required to replace spindle
    where is the mark? bearing surface or seal surface?

3. greatwhitenorth

greatwhitenorth 1/2 ton status

No I do not believe they are. You can replace em - with a welder and alot of work.

If your buddy's leaking oil it means your oil seal is trashed or the race the oil seal runs on is damage. This is a common thing for 14 bolts, and you can buy something called a "speedy sleeve" to fix it. Basically a machined sleeve that goes over your existing oil seal race and a matched oil seal.

Hope that helps.

I split the keyway on the spindle of my 14FF, i was thinking the same thing about replacing the spindle, but its not gonna happen.

4. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

If the area where the bearing rides is scored or damaged, the bearing may not be seating all the way and the seal would also not be seating.
    If you have it apart make sure that the bearing will bottom out on the shoulder of the spindle.
    I have seen some realy thrashed spindles and after a bit of work with some emory cloth they usualy clean up enough to be put back into service.
    If the seal surface on the spindle is damaged then you will have to put on a speedy sleeve which can be a PITA.
    Stemco seals come with a wear sleeve that have to be installed on the spindle, you just have to have the installation tool to put them on or a peice of pipe.
    I have never seen if they make one for light duty trucks but they make a lot of other seals.

5. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status