Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14FF spring perch question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by thatK30guy, Jul 31, 2001.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm getting ready to weld the spring perches on a 1 ton 14FF for Rocko. He is going to put it under his Blazer. I had to grind the welds on the perches and break them off. The shock mounts had to come off also.

My question is, what did anybody who did a similar job, do as far as welding the perch back on? What type of welder and size of wire? The shock mounts don't worry me as much as the perches themselves, so, anybody give and tell me ANY info about this.

<font color=blue>Daddy told me while learning to pee......"if you shake it more than twice, then you are playing with it!!!"</font color=blue>

2. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Wes, I have the same task ahead of me. I bought a new 14FF from Brian60s and it will require the same thing. What I plan to do is machine a set of spring perches from solid steel with a design that will allow them to be temperaroly clamped to the axle for alignment, then welded and the clamp removed. If this appeals to you I could send a set to you to try out and then return the clamps so I can use them.

Ride with pride,
    Bill Hughes

3. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I dont if this will help you out much. I dont use the original perches. I use the 2x2 s.s. box. I use the heli-arc at my dads, with .028 s.s. wire.

4. thatK30guy

I'm trying to hurry to get this job done before the 11th.

I was wondering if anyone reused the stock perch. If so, how did you reweld them back on?

Drew, I was also planning to use the 2.5" x 2.5" square tubing like Depdog did on a write up on the off-road.com site. I may end up doing that if I can't figure how to weld these stock pieces back on.

<font color=blue>Daddy told me while learning to pee......"if you shake it more than twice, then you are playing with it!!!"</font color=blue>

5. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Its a much stronger combo. in my opinion. And you can get a little more lift out it.

6. thatK30guy

Yeah, I was thinking about that too. Need to PM Rocko to see if he wants it taller than the stock perch or not. [​IMG]

7. RGF

RGF 1/2 ton status

I have done alot of the spring perch relocates, I use a stick welder with 7018 wire but you could use 6011 too. I usually put a small tach on each side of the pad in the center and bolt the rear up but not torqued down. Once you fiqure your angle put a jack under the yoke, grind the tachs loose and slowly bring it up to what you need and weld it removing one u-bolt at a time.
    RGF

8. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

what is the difference in the perches between a 14 and the and the 12 bolt, i'm putting a 14 ff in the willy's which had the 12 bolt, what mods need to be made to get it to bolt on?

<font color=red>It's not what you drive, but what drives you</font color=red>( Or is it what you work on,lol)
    <font color=orange> 1955 willy's on a 1977 blazer chassis </font color=orange>

9. thatK30guy

On the 14FF's there are 2 different types of perches.

The '84 and older FF rears have a 'cast' perch, which is all solid steel casting.

The '85 and newer FF rears have 'stamped-steel' perches, which can be cut off easily and rewelded easily too. These perches look like the 10 and 12 bolt rears but they are 3/8" thick material.

10. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Well Wes I am getting ready to do mine. I plan to use the stock purch which is the stamped steel. I am going to grind the welds, clean everything up, and use a mig with copper wire. Not sure on the wire size but I think .030. If you use the cast purch they need to be heated with a torch first for the weld to penetrait good.

<font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

11. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Dude,
    I did exactly what you're trying to do. I grinded off the old perch carefully and reused it. Still going good :)
    Anyhow, like others said, prep the perch to get ready to weld and prep the area. I used .030 wire. I only did one pass (all that was needed) I have a 150amp MIG. (110V)
    I would heat up the area before I welded, but I totally wasn't paying attention and just went ahead and welded. But like I said, all is good so far.
    Oh,. also, I did one section a time. Like, I would tack weld them on first obviously to hold them in place.
    Then I would weld up one side of the perch. Then go to the other perch and do that same side, than back over the first perch and do another side, and then back over the other.......get my drift?
    Boss

89' 1 TON of FUN K5

12. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Wes.. either way.. My truck sit's nice and level as it is.. do whatever is easier for you..
    As for the second weekend..I have drill that weekend.. so could we push this up one more week.. say... August 18th?
    Hope that's not a problem...
    454 is coming out of the truck today... did you want the header's with it? The header's have been welded to the collectors.. but I'm sure I could cut them off so they could be reused.. Let me know..

Round Rock, Texas I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work. <a target="_blank" href=http://www.rocko.rockcrawler.com>www.rocko.rockcrawler.com</a>

13. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

i take it you have to move the perches becuase there is a difference in spring spacing between the k-5 axels and the 14ff?

<font color=red>It's not what you drive, but what drives you</font color=red>( Or is it what you work on,lol)
    <font color=orange> 1955 willy's on a 1977 blazer chassis </font color=orange>

14. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Only the 1 ton version 14bolts is there a difference. The 3/4 ton version will bolt into your K5.
    Boss

89' 1 TON of FUN K5

15. 4xmac

4xmac Registered Member

Wes, welding either the cast or the stamped purches on is no big deal. If your using an arc welder use 7018 welding rod, if you are using a mig welder use a little heaver wire .040. You really dont need to preheat the metal up prior to welding, it"s not that thick. Use the proper amps. and you will get proper penetration. Dont weld too much at a time or you may warp the housing.

MAC

16. thatK30guy

Yeah, the 18th is fine by me. I'm just working around with whatever is the best time for you. I'm free anytime!!! [​IMG]

If you can salvage the headers, sure, I'll take them. But if you can't, no big deal.

17. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I have a friend that does this stuff alot on his trucks. He buys new perches from a trailer sales place and uses a MIG to weld it..035 wire I think.