Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14FF strength?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fr8train, May 8, 2002.

1. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Just how much raw power can a 14FF stand up to? Bearing in mind that it would be running 39.5" tires and 4.56-4.88 gears.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

It would depend on the amount of traction available. If you where muddin then a hell of a lot. If you where in the rocks, not as much, but still alot more then just about every other axle smaller then a Rockwell.

3. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

I kinda want to know how much raw power it can handle with 39.5's also. I want to run the same combo.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It can handle all the power you can afford and then some, as long as it's in good condition and has lube in it.

5. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

yeah, well I've seen 44's with 600 hp and it was alright. But they werent trying to do truck pulls on pavement either. I don't think you'll really have to worry about breaking a 14 bolt FF. If you do manage to break a shaft (not really that likely unless VERY rusted) you can get a set of custom alloy shafts made that will give you a boost in strength and probably never break. In fact the stock shafts are stronger than some of the early 2.5 ton rockwell axles.

6. trukman1

trukman1 1/2 ton status

Why not do like the rest of us? Put it in and try to see if it'll break (for awhile) then stop worrying about it and have fun running it. I have a VERY healthy big-block, lots of extras and a 14FF that has never let me down.

7. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I run 39.5's on my 14 bolt with a detroit and have never had a problem. Thats after two years of mud racing and mud bogging and even a week long trip to moab. I know quite a few people who beat them hard and the only thing that I have seen break on them is the stock locker. I beat the hell out of the housing on Lower Helldorado with no problems also. I think the only upgrade you can do would be a Rockwell.

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

If I were you, I wouldn't worry about the rear. These rears are just indestructable. Almost impossible to break anything. Focus more on other areas like the front axle, t-case, etc. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

If you want to further beef the rear axle, get some Moser Engineering alloy shafts for around $300. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

9. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Thats the real reason I was askin, thanks Wes. Should I cut it to the quick and just get the Moser shafts. Have one, not wanting to play with stupid pereferral BS later. Aside from those with the MOO unit, anyone else trussed a 14FF?

10. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Drew, whether you actually need the Moser shafts will depend entirely up to you as to whether you want to spend the cash on them.

As of today, I still have not seen one 14FF shaft fail from breakage or misuse. I have not even seen one where the splines got twisted.

I have seen the spiders go bad on open and Gov-Locked carriers. But still no bad shaft or anything.

I would say the Moser shafts are the last step you would need to do in order to upgrade and beef your 14FF. The stock shafts are already "overkill" from the factory with 1 1/2" diameter shafts. 30 splines is close to 35, so, they are still stronger than most people think. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

BTW, while most people (not CK5!) think the D60 rear is more stronger and bulletproof than the 14FF, they fail to realize that the 14FF is more comparable to the D70 instead.

I won't even talk about a D60 rear. I have seen those go bad just as easily as a 10 and 12 bolt rear. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

11. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Dude,
    Just put the 14 under and go. If it breaks, then get the Mosers. Doubt you'll have probs though.
    Boss

12. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Boss, you're talkin to me here ....... it just cant be that easy /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif. Master of the Obvious, I am not. BTW sent you and Wes a pm.

13. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I doubt that little 350 will ever tear up a 14ff. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Hell it had a 10 bolt with 5:13's behind it so you will be fine.