Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14ff swap /Updated all done!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stallion85, Apr 16, 2004.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I am swapping a 14ff in place of my 10 bolt. I have come into a problem w/ the e brake cables. The 14 bolt is from a 74 and my blazer is an 85. The e brake setup is not the same. Is there any way of fixing this without changing the backing plates w/ a newer axle???? Please help for I am running out of time! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

FINISHED: Well it was a PITA but I am finally donw w/ the swap over except flushing the brakes which will be done first thing in the morning! Here is what I did: Replaced rear breaks $40, Cleaned and painted axles (4 freakin' hours of hard ass labor) $16 in paint, New gear oil $8, New passenger side e brake cable $30, new u joint didn't need will tell in a second, brake cleaner $6!, New u bolts for front only $44, drum seal on the rear $11. Well we ran into a few problems as you know and everything finally worked out. We were going to have a local drive line shop put a 3/4 to yoke on the end of my driveshaft. I went and picked up the u joint at NAPA andd took it to the shop. Guess what the driveshaft already had 3/4 setup on it. We couldn't tell till we actually compared it to another one. The guy kept telling us it was already 3/4 ton and we said No it came off a half ton and we need it to be 3/4 ton /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif He said Look I am not going to argue w/ you. So we said ok your the expert, sure enough when we got home we about choked. That save me $80!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Any ways all said and done I am now 3/4 ton It feels good!

2. v-3500

v-3500 Registered Member

Re: Need help fast! Please read!

The only thing I can think of is to go to a junkyard and get the back half of the parking brake cable (from the adjuster located about mid-frame back to the backing plates) from a 3/4 or 1-ton GM truck with a corporate 14 bolt. Your trucks parking brake cable should have an adjustment point somewhere on it, and rig up the back-half of the 3/4 or 1-ton parking brake cable with the front-half of your parking brake cable.

Custom swapping differentials is not the type of project you should be taking on with time constraints.

3. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

If you can get the ends that bolt into the backing plate from the 2 bolt style e-brake cable you can modifly it by cutting the inside part (closest part to the backing plate) and seperating it from the outer part. Then cut a slot in it next to the hole for the e-brake cable and slide your stock cable through that. Then bolt the piece to the backing plate so it resembles the stock 10 bolt setup and you're good to go. It's hard to explain and I have no way of posting pictures but you can get it to work with a little modification. I hope I helped. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

For the sake of finishing on time, zip tie the e-brake cables against the axle tubes and finish that part later. Also, zip tie the truck side of the cable to the frame. The e-brake will not stop you from driving it and this will give you more time for research. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. stallion85

[ QUOTE ]
    The only thing I can think of is to go to a junkyard and get the back half of the parking brake cable (from the adjuster located about mid-frame back to the backing plates) from a 3/4 or 1-ton GM truck with a corporate 14 bolt. Your trucks parking brake cable should have an adjustment point somewhere on it, and rig up the back-half of the 3/4 or 1-ton parking brake cable with the front-half of your parking brake cable.

Custom swapping differentials is not the type of project you should be taking on with time constraints.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I was hoping this was going to be a day job. I live in Vegas but I am in Cedar City UT at my Dad's house. His old truck is the donor and I have till Sunday to get home. I wanted to know soon just in case I had to get something custom ordered to town. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

6. stallion85

[ QUOTE ]
    If you can get the ends that bolt into the backing plate from the 2 bolt style e-brake cable you can modifly it by cutting the inside part (closest part to the backing plate) and seperating it from the outer part. Then cut a slot in it next to the hole for the e-brake cable and slide your stock cable through that. Then bolt the piece to the backing plate so it resembles the stock 10 bolt setup and you're good to go. It's hard to explain and I have no way of posting pictures but you can get it to work with a little modification. I hope I helped. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I will run that pass my pit crew and see if we can figure it out..thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I did something similar to this. I separated the two halves of the old truck's cable end and cut open the hole so it was a slot. Then I stuck the old cable end thingy on my stock cables. I used it pretty hard and it never deformed the piece I cut. I'll hunt around for some pictures.

8. stallion85

Sweet that would be awesome! I decided to leave the rear alone and finish swapping the front out. I have the D44 cleaned and painted and ready to go in first thing in the morning, after that I will tackle the break problem! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Any other ideas are very welcome /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I believe Tim posted these pics about the same issue...

pics

10. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

Re: 14ff swap/ e brake cables not the same!!!

damn Jeff!! If you would have just waited until February I could have helped you with the swap.
    /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

If you read my PM you know what I'm talking about.

Rick

11. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: 14ff swap/ e brake cables not the same!!!

Look for 3/4 ton backing plates from '83 up to '87, and up to '91 on Subs, on both 2 and 4wd in either FF or SF versions.

Do not look for 1 ton plates as they are recessed deeper back to allow fitment of the wider drums. Unless you want to convert the 3/4 ton brakes to 1 ton, go for it.

But the cheapest route is to convert to disc brakes. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. stallion85

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks a lot it worked out great /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

FWIW, DRW and SRW backing plates are the same (83-99) if you're dealing with the 13x3.5" drums. This may improve the donor situation considerably. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

14. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hey Stallion, I live in Las Vegas too, and I just bought a 1 Ton GM 4X4. I have been out of four wheeling for about 10 years, and now I am getting back into it. Are you familiar with some of the local four-wheel shops in this town? What do you think of Back Country Products? They seem very personable. 4-Wheel Parts is kind of like a Wal-Mart...not too personable. 4-Wheel Parts is supposed to have a new store grand opening 4/24/04, in Summerlin, on Sunset Road. Are you going to the Best In The Dessert Off-Road Race this coming weekend in Pahrump?

15. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

I saw an ebrake settup somewhere on CK5 that went on the tranny and stopped the driveshaft. Is that a good route to go when changing over to 14bff, or is it too expensive? I'm right in the middle of installing a 14bff. Inquiring minds want to know.

16. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks a lot it worked out great /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    I'm glad you got it figured out.

17. stallion85

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey Stallion, I live in Las Vegas too, and I just bought a 1 Ton GM 4X4. I have been out of four wheeling for about 10 years, and now I am getting back into it. Are you familiar with some of the local four-wheel shops in this town? What do you think of Back Country Products? They seem very personable. 4-Wheel Parts is kind of like a Wal-Mart...not too personable. 4-Wheel Parts is supposed to have a new store grand opening 4/24/04, in Summerlin, on Sunset Road. Are you going to the Best In The Dessert Off-Road Race this coming weekend in Pahrump?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I have only bought parts (some) from 4wp a few times, everything else has been purchased on line or through the mail. I found a decent trail off of lake mead going towards the lake. Next time I go I can give you a call or something. PM your e mail or phone#. It would be nice to have another chev out wheelin w/ me /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif