Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14FF TO 6-lug DISK BRAKES

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TONYP, Oct 30, 2002.

1. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

Just got the 14FF last night and got to looking at it for the disk brake switch over. I have 6 lug rims and a Dana 44 on the front. To keep my set up the same, I'm going to machine up a new hub for the 14FF to hold the 6 lug rims I have. I would then be able to put on the Dana44 disk brake rotor and just fab up a bracket to hold the caliper on. That way the rotor would fit my rim and I would not have to worry about clearance issues on the caliper. Would have to find a caliper with an e-brake set up to hold the truck in park. Need to check a front disk for the fitting on the rear shaft but from looking at it, I think I would only have to bore out the center hole to slide over the axle housing.
    Any one done this, have any suggestion.
    Will keep document on this if it works.

2. BAD4WD

BAD4WD Registered Member

Well if you win the lottery,you buy this kit which includes D/L & GEARS up to 5;13 under 4x4 parts http://www.drivetrain.com/ then add your disc brakes. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif... laters

3. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, I hope it works. I know there is a giant bunch of people on here that would be very interested in a 6 lug 14FF with disc brakes. If you can do it, I would love to see an article on the process and the parts. Rock On !!!
    Mike

4. Scooter

Scooter 1/2 ton status

5. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

keep me posted, I would be very intrested on how you do that. I think the hardest part would be the parking brake, and finding the disc, everything else would be fairly simple. good luck!

6. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

reading what you wrote I now see you want to put the whole hub from a front axle to the 14bff, how would you bolt the axle to it? why not use a hub from a 14bff that has disc aready and work on making it a 6 lug. find a disc that has 6 lug holes that slides onto a machined down hub. maybe this would not be possible, I never really looked at a 14bff disc brake hub. just an idea. as far as parking brake the only way I can think of now is to rig up a "micro lock" like the park brake on a old fork lift /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif also boring out the hub like your talking about could affect the strength. good luck!