Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14ff Truss and Diff cover

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TheGeneral, Dec 23, 2001.

1. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Just got done putting on one of Steve Frisbies HD diff covers and truss on 14ff. He incorporated shock mounting points too. It went on without a hitch and is made with extreme accuracy. He has done his homework and makes some dam good stuff. You don't really need instructions for something like this, but I did read his and they were some of the best you'll find. Steve should right a book K5's for Dummies. If anyone is wondering, the fluid capacity is 4 quarts. The only thing that could be different that I know he is working on is to poweder coat the set up.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

2. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

Do you have any photos?
    Shawnboy.

<font color=red>If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.</font color=red>

3. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

If he doesn't there is a picture of his parts on the catalog page of my website.

<font color=green>Steve Frisbie</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.mooffroadoutfitters.rockcrawler.com>www.mooffroadoutfitters.rockcrawler.com</a>

4. 1986Blazer

1986Blazer 1/2 ton status

Steve...for my future reference, how much more is the 14B Truss than the 12B truss. I am about to install my 14B and want to put one of these on my wish list....

Thanks

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html>http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html</a>
    So I says to him, I said, "get your own monkey."
    1986 K5, 350 GM Crate, 700R4, NP208

5. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

what do you do that requires a trussed ff14bolt?

6. TheGeneral

Anything I want to, and pictures will be coming today. It is just added insurance and also my lower shock mounting points.

The General

7. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

what a waste of time
    why would someone bother to make a useless product like that??
    for 10 bolts I can see the need, for those too cheap to get a real dif...
    all you need is a thick cover and the 14 is bombproof, unless you are talkin about that bloated imitation 14SF

8. TheGeneral

Well, I guess I got the heavy diff cover you are talking about, and the shock mounts, and the truss, well, that is just some tubing between the two, but man, it is some good thick tubing. But you know what is interesting, the fact that in such a short post as yours, you managed to offend Steve Frisbie, all owners of anything less than 14ff rears, and anyone running a 10bolt, so congrats. Really, I hope you are just trying to have some fun with a post, so hope you have a Happy New Year man.

The General

9. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

He apparently doesnt know Steve cause if he did he probably wouldnt have said it. Of the few people Ive met off this site, he is one of the nicest guys and best idea man Ive met. That and he could have you arrested if you went through Missouri :)

82 K5, 6.2L Diesel, sm465, np205, 14 bolt welded, 8 lug 10 bolt lock right, 410 gears, 35" Mud Kings
    SPEAK SOFTLY AND DRIVE A BIG TRUCK

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

what a waste of time
    why would someone bother to make a useless product like that??
    for 10 bolts I can see the need, for those too cheap to get a real dif...
    all you need is a thick cover and the 14 is bombproof, unless you are talkin about that bloated imitation 14SF

<hr></blockquote>

Nowhere do I see a personal slag against Steve Frisbe. All I see is someone stating their opinion of a product. I'm sure Steve is a nice guy...what does that have to do with anything? Is having an opinion reason to get arrested in MO?

I really don't see the need for trussing a 14 bolt either...makes as much sense as a tranny cooler on a SM 465. But whatever floats your boat...I can't fault Steve for building something that someone wanted him to build.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

11. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

First of all I was just kidding about the being arrested hence the smiley face, but I think the way with which 77chev stated his opinion was uncalled for and kind of rude. Its one thing to have an opinion, but when you say it in a mocking or disrespectful way then I think it is wrong.

82 K5, 6.2L Diesel, sm465, np205, 14 bolt welded, 8 lug 10 bolt lock right, 410 gears, 35" Mud Kings
    SPEAK SOFTLY AND DRIVE A BIG TRUCK

12. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

I do not get offended easily and no offense has been taken. The ironic part of all of this is that I thought the 14 bolt was indestructible. I have sold more axle trusses for 14 bolts than any other axle. I have been sent pictures of two 14 bolts that broke the tubes at the housing after catching air and the diff coming to rest on a solid object. Pretty unbelievable but it has happened. I also believe a good truss on any axle is good insurance.

<font color=green>Steve Frisbie</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.mooffroadoutfitters.rockcrawler.com>www.mooffroadoutfitters.rockcrawler.com</a>

13. tRustyK5

The ironic part of all of this is that I thought the 14 bolt was indestructible.

<hr></blockquote>
    I have seen pics of destroyed 14 bolts also...some people have 'talent' I guess. I've smashed my share of rocks and other trail debris, caught decent air in my truck and haven't had a problem. I guess there will always be guys that can break anything though.

Tyler...77chev prolly ain't gonna win any popularity contests anytime soon, but he does know his sh!t and even though he can be abrasive it was still just his opinion....I saw the smilie after I posted.[​IMG]

Rene

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

14. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

are you saying your truss would have prevented that dif from breaking? (and your line is "it couldnt hurt")
    I understand that you will take poser's money as quick as money for useful products, hey cash is cash
    "The ironic part of all of this"
    so did you at least ask the first guy "WHY?"
    How did you do it with a straight face? or did you?
    no way i could

15. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

your my hero, when i grow up i wanna be just like you!

16. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

And I guess since I have never heard of you wheeling before that makes you the "Poser" you speak of. Now, Steve gave a "Why" and you and Rene still have no clue. Of course its obvious why 77Chev has no clue, but I will point out why Rene does not either. Rene in his first post states he sees no reason for a trussed 14 bolt, then in a second post after Frisbie clarifies the reason, Rene said he had seen broken 14 bolts. Now, that makes about as much sense as a tranny cooler on a Ford 8N Tractor! 14 Bolts break! Steve offers a product that fixes this problem. Now, shoo fly...

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://www.mudzer.rockcrawler.com>www.mudzer.rockcrawler.com</a></font color=blue>

17. tRustyK5

NP 205's also break. Dana 60 fronts break. TH400's break, and I have a broken NV4500 in my carport. Yes I have seen a broken 14 bolt...in a mag pic, and God only know's what the guy did but you can be sure it was beyond hardcore wheeling, and beyond stupid. I have never personally seen a 14 bolt do anything but drag rocks, get bashed, and live...no truss no fuss [​IMG]

For the 10 and 12 bolt crowd I think it's a good product...but I maintain that for a 14 bolt it is unnecessary. Is that clear enough Neil?

I think we can all mostly agree that the ORD Blazer is a hardcore truck built to take some serious abuse. Stephen Watson seems like a thorough kind of guy and yet no truss on his 14 bolt rear...I wonder why?

Steve gave a "Why"

<hr></blockquote>
    The "why" is easy...somebody wanted one whether it was necessary or not and he built it. That's business.

Rene

18. Just my .02, but isn't this bickering counter-productive? ANYTHING can break, given enough abuse. If a man feels that a little added protection gives him piece of mind, then don't fault them for it. To each his own.

American by birth, Marine by the grace of God

19. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

K...my opinion [​IMG]

I'm not trussing my 14ff. Mainly because I'm not going to pick it up with a crane and drop it from 20 stories high and see how it lands. I guess if you did that, that truss might come in handy.

If you are wheeling with your head screwed on tight, I don't see why you'd need a truss.

Anyway...more power to ya.

Look 77chev...we agreed! Now isn't that special! [​IMG] that should say someting right there. LOL!

<font color=blue>What part of my brilliance do you not understand?</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bluefox.tv/~lara>My Wonderful Site</a>

20. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I have been sent pictures of two 14 bolts that broke the tubes at the housing after catching air and the diff coming to rest
    on a solid object. Pretty unbelievable but it has happened. I also believe a good truss on any axle is good insurance.

<hr></blockquote>

I am considering getting one for my 14BFF, because the axle tubes are what take the entire weight of the truck, and if you recall, they're just pressed into the differential like any other GM corporate axle, andmost dana's. I'm not worried about shearing the innards of my 14bff, nor am I worried about destroying the casing, but the axle tubes that support 7000+ pounds of suburban occasionaly worry me. if this stiffens the axle tubes, and adds a better weight transferto help carry the load of the axle tubes evenly, then I see nothing bad about it. since you can get it in combination with the giant cover of doom, I might just get one. its not like he's charging an obscenely huge amount of money for a product that'll not only help stiffen my axle, but look damn cool at the same time.

just my opinion, and I;m stickin' to it.

-Rich

My truck isn't ugly, you have a skewed sense of beauty

<font color=blue>2007 Ford XLS++ intrepid Ram Superduty 7000 R-type's suck</font color=blue>