Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14FF vs 14SF

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TONYP, Oct 26, 2002.

1. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

Need info on this just to make sure.
    1) A 14FF will will drop in a locker period.
    2) A 14SF has a gov. locker and to replace it is?
    a)to much money
    b)you don't need to replace
    c)just get the FF

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

The Detroit drops into the 14FF when its an open diff. Not so with the factory posi (Gov-Lok)

A 14SF Detroit Locker costs more than for the 14FF.

Just get the 14FF - axle will cost you about the same, its stronger, and the Detroit Locker is cheaper.

3. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

id do the 14ff too, since if you break an axle your tire wont fall off, and plus yes as everyone else will tell you the locker is cheap for it when compared to other axles.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

id have to choose c.but if you want to keep 6 lug setup you can get the 14bsf out of a late 80's suburban i think they were in.it'll have more strength than you got now and will bolt in i think like the 10 bolt.its easier than replaceing tires wheels and all the conversion junk.but you do give up strength with the semi float and you can still lose a wheel if the c clip fails.if time and money permit 14ff is the way to go and convert your front end to 8 lug until a dana 60 is found.this is what im doing.mines been a ongoing parts search for 3 months now and is almost complete. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

14ff. lockers are 325.00 and drop in.

6. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

yall are so creative and original. everybody and they're frickin dog has a 14ff. i like my 14sf, true i need a locker but atleast i'm not just another clone. i'm gettin a d70 rear.

just /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif me though i'm just a kid who wants an ORIGINAL rig.

7. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

Calm down /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. It's not about how many people have a 14FF and what's original. It's about Strength.

8. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

Ok just PM the guy with the 14FF....might have it on the driveway sunday...if so I'll be looking for a locker
    /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif <font color="red">ANAEHIM ANGELS /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font color> /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

9. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

for whatever you think, some of us are budget minded. The 14 bolt ff is plenty strong and cheap!! lockers are cheap and they don't break! I trip over 14ff all day. 100.00 tops. d70? 600 and up! If I wasn't on a budget, d80's front and rear. But realism sets in and 14ff are a plenty!

10. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Sounds like you just want to pay more? If you're not gearing lower than 5.13:1 or want an ARB than what is the point of the D70 over a FF14B? If one of those 2 things apply or you have a D70 lying around w/ a detroit already in it than the answer is clear. Calm down.

11. bigjbear

chuliso, The SF14B from a late '80s 'burb will be an 8 lug as well. You would need to get into the newer bodystyle trucks to get the 6 lug SF14B.

12. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i'm not pissed off really i just kinda get tired of seeing the same thing on every truck out there, in fact, to be totally honest with you i'll probably end up with one my self. i would like to have an ARB with 5.38s one day, but with the cost it's probably not gonna happen for a long time. so sorry if i pissed anyone off. but i thought it was about being original and having stuff that not everyone has. guess i was wrong.

13. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

my though on this, if you have to bust your ass and install a 500lbs axle on your truck in the driveway then it don't get anymore original than that. If it were easy Chevy would on done it....
    /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif <font color="red">ANAHEIM ANGELS </font color> /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

14. bigjbear

I'm not pissed, didn't mean to come off that way. Like I said if you're plans include an ARB, well we all know the "its in development" story. I understand you wanting something different but I just don't think the D70 is where I would make my mark. On the trail alot of times commonality is better, more likely to find spare parts. ( /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif so you know all is cool)

15. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    but i thought it was about being original and having stuff that not everyone has. guess i was wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> I thought it was about getting the best parts available that fit in your budget. For most people that means the 14b FF. I mean, is your truck for wheeling or is it an art project? Just use what works, who cares what anyone else has. Have you ever heard someone say "Oh, you have a 14b FF, how unoriginal." It's a great axle and it does the job. </font color>

16. bigjbear

Cheer up Tony the Angles pulled one out of their butt last night.

17. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

That they did...That they did....
    Tonight is the big game, /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifall cal eyes we'll be watching this one /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif <font color="red"> ANGELS </font color> /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

18. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

thats why i said i think it was that.thanx for the correction.so it was into the 90's burbs that has the 14sf with 6 lugs.i knew it was available but couldnt remember what years.i thought they were available after 86 or 87.

19. bigjbear

O/T...Tony,now are you happy? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

20. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

yes very happy, the Angels won and I'm picking up my 14FF tonight /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif