Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14FF W/TSM Caddy Calipers - Ebrake cable @#@#

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rcamacho, Jul 13, 2004.

1. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

The previous owner sliced the lead and intermediate cables and clamped them. The clamps keep popping off.

I'm replacing the front cable with one from a yard. While out there I found a slick set up on the fullsize trucks with 14FF's where the central cable adjuster then went to an intermediate cable to the frame rail in front of each side of the axle. From there, a frame bracket attached to a short cable to the drum.

Q: What the heck are you guys using on similar setup that works. Yeah, forget the pinion brake -I'm still running a 208.

2. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I used the factory e-brake cables from my '90, I had one of the cables lengthened a little, and fabbed some brackets to use with the TSM kit.

[​IMG]

3. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the pics. Do you have a photo of where the cables join the center cable at the adjuster? My cables are so bad, I can't tell what the setup looked like originally.

4. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I did the AZ-Kickin' brackets and the TSM caddy calipers. My lever is on the bottom though. Did you mount them upside down in order to accomodate those brackets and is it a PITA to bleed them?

5. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I mounted them upside down to keep the ebrake lever above the axle. It is a pia to bleed them. I take the caliper off the bracket, turn the caliper upside right, and put the caliper back on the rotor(not using the brackets) to keep the piston in the correct position. Then bleed them like you normally would.

6. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Here's the thumbnail pic I think you wanted. Just click on it to enlarge.

[​IMG]

7. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Thanks!

8. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Turns out Benix makes replacement cables. I bought a new front cable (from ebrake to rear junction). It looks like there (may) be enough adjustment to take up the slack. Else I'll have to get ahold of someone with a professional swadging tool. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

10. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Anybody else have any pics of how they did their Caddy caliper e-brake? I've been playing around with several designs trying to keep the lever on the bottom with the bleeder up but no matter how I look at it, it's a PITA.