Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14FF welded question?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Thumper, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Are there any ill effects to running a welded 14FF with one axle removed? I was told that its a good idea for flat towing, and maybe running it on the street to ease up the tire wear for daily driving.
    Then in a discussion with a buddy here, he thinks that there wouldnt be any issues with flat towing a welded diff. Also, he says my diff will prematurely wear out if I try and run it full time on the street with one axle removed.
    Any inputs on these points? I thought it work really well, eliminating my tire scrubbing around corners with only one drive wheel. The plan was to get a broken 14FF axle, cut it off to a couple inches long, and remove the axle, bolt the cover on until I hit the trail head, then bolt in the axle.
    I need some feedback!
    Thanx
    Mike

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

This has been talked about before and I remember that one main problem is the spinning axleshafts pull the lube to the wheel bearings, so if you didn't have an axleshaft in it would burn up the wheel bearings after awhile.

I run welded on the street every day. The only side effect is the tire wear and it doesn't like to turn as well.

Harley

3. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Hmm, I thought the lube sits in the tube all the time which would lubricate the bearing when it turns... assuming the diff was filled properly I guess.
    I know when I remove the axle shafts, the thing leaks for quite a while! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mike

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You may be right. I don't know for sure. that was the talk though. On my truck I don't think I would really sweat the issue much for short term.

I run really heavy gear oil that sticks to everything so it stays in place pretty well. As long as the bearings had oil they would still have oil for quite awhile after pulling a shaft. But my gear oil is expensive and hard to find. If you change gear oil alot it wouldn't be worth the $8 per quart price that you would have to pay. In AZ though I don't get much water or mud so things are good.

Harley

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

I think that you'll find the torque steer from only one rear wheel being driven to be pretty hard to deal with on a regular basis.

6. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I think that you'll find the torque steer from only one rear wheel being driven to be pretty hard to deal with on a regular basis.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what I was thinkin /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif...I get it enough with a Detroit /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

7. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Umm, when with a Detroit do you only get one wheel driving? Maybe your Detroit is busted? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    I see there might be a bit of torque steer, but what would be the difference between one welded wheel driving and an open diff?

I guess the best bet would be to try it I suppose. My main issue is when my buddy said he thinks it would actually hurt the diff/ bearings etc by running it like that.
    Anyone else?
    Thanks for the answers so far!

Mike

8. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

The open diff only goes "open" if the difference in traction is greater than the resistance in the carrier itself. So on flat similar dry pavement both tires actually push, same goes for flat similar wet pavement, similar mud, similar ice, ect. The shaft spiniing keeps the fluids churninig and thus moving so the heat won't build up as quickly. You will get massive torque steer and turining will be akward at best. It will be like a really big go cart (mine was 1 wheel drive)

9. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Try it and let us know /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I think you will get some funky handling by doing this. Running with one shaft removed is NOT the same as running an open diff.

In my opinion, if you are that concerned with tire wear than you shouldn't run with a welded diff........