Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14ff with 6 lug wheels??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pismorat, Mar 9, 2004.

1. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

I was wondering if a 6 lug wheel will fit over a 14 bolt full floater axle hub if 8-6 adapters are used. What is the diameter of the hub? I heard you could turn down the hub, but is that good for it, or cheap? I was also thinking of a 14 bolt semi float that is 6 lug. Any opinions?? /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

No it won't fit. You have to have the hub machined down like 5/16 or something like that /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I got the adapters and had to have them machined down... it was just over $100 for the machineing wich I dident think was TOO bad...
    BTW search and you will read a SF isent comparable to a FF

4. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

So did you have the hubs machined or your wheels? Does that make it any weaker? I have a small lathe at my house, could I do the hubs up on that? Thanks for the input, you've restored my faith in getting a 14 bolt! /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

You can't machine the rims, the hub is what is machined.

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Go to:

www.gradysoffroad.com They have custom Alum. 14ff, D60, d70 hubs for any bolt pattern...

Also, if the rims are alum you can have them opened up to fit the larger hub if need be. Maybe steel ones to but never saw anyone do it to steelies...

7. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Go to:

www.gradysoffroad.com They have custom Alum. 14ff, D60, d70 hubs for any bolt pattern... [​IMG]

Also, if the rims are alum you can have them opened up to fit the larger hub if need be. Maybe steel ones to but never saw anyone do it to steelies...

[/ QUOTE ]
    Added pic
    Bill

8. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

yes its the hubs... Im not sure if you could do it or not, I guess you could say its weaker just because you are taking off metal but I have yet to have a problem with it and dont think I ever will

9. Emmettology 101

Thanks Tweet, I got lazy! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

10. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks Tweet, I got lazy! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Not lazy /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif I just happen to have them in my pics /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gifthought I'd help a little /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif!
    Bill

11. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

Does anyone have pics of their set-up? And how hard is it to get a 14 bolt with 3.73 gears? /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

12. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

You might need to look around a bit to find 3.73 gears but they are out there. 4.10 is the most common and 4.56 was factory as well.

When you turn down the hub you will have to use socket heat bolts because the hex head bolts won't clear. You will also have to use aftermarket wheels because they have a larger center hole than GM factory wheels so that they will also fit yota's.

How big is your lathe? Thoes hubs arn't that small but it might work on a benchtop lathe.

13. Emmettology 101

I have a 14FF with 3.73's.. If you need the gears we can work something out... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Everyone always says 4.10's are common but both 14bolt FF's ive bought have been 3.73... I wish I had a 4.10, The first time around I wanted 3.73 but with my second axle am basically only going to be using the housing so it dident matter to much /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif