Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14SF axle shaft question ...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Scooter, Sep 8, 2001.

1. Scooter

Scooter 1/2 ton status

I just got a set of 3/4 ton axles from an 85 suburban. 10B front and 14SF rear. Im in the process of converting them from 8 lug to 6 lug and will be doing a rear disc conversion on it too. I got a really good deal on some 6 lug 14SF shafts from a 93 light duty 3/4 4x4 truck.

The axle shafts went in as expected (by the way .. those things are friggin huge). The splined ends appear to be exactly the same as the old ones but the overall length is a bit different. When the c-clips are installed and seated they sit just like the old ones did inside the diff but the shafts extend out an extra 3/4" or so. They appear to be riding on the bearings at the end of the axle housing ok.

My question is this: Given the above information and with the new axle shafts being only about 3/4" longer overall than the old ones, is this something i need to be concerned about?

TIA. Any information is appreciated.

BTW - once this is done I'll have the stuff to convert a 10B front to 8 lug and have some 8 lug 14SF axle shafts for sale .. anyone interested??

Scot in KC, MO.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.off-road.ws/images/users/Scooter/side_right_2.jpg>Blue 87 GMC Jimmy</a>
    Red 86 Toyota 4Runner (for sale $2000 obo)

2. Scooter

Scooter 1/2 ton status

Scot in KC, MO.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.off-road.ws/images/users/Scooter/side_right_2.jpg>Blue 87 GMC Jimmy</a>

3. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Take this with a grain of salt. I Need to see it first hand to know forsure. (and I'm kinda unsure of what youre doing.)

It might be because of a drum brake option. There are two differnt rear brake options fot the 14s, 13" (?) X 2.5 and 13" X 3", this -might- be the difference your seeing.

Regardless of the O.E. brake option. If you are gong to go with rear disc brakes, then the roter to the backing plate (caliper mount) will need to be corrected or adj as needed to get the roter and calipers to mount up correctly.

If you are going with someone's disk brake "kit", then they should know of the differnce and offer a kit thet is needed to fit. -UNLESS- this is a one-of-a-kind project (like useing a modified houseing w/different shafts, r vise-versa)

Makesure the wheel bearings are rideing on the machined surface of the shafts.

Edited- There might also be a differnce in the axle width because of the model year, so the houseing will not be a matched set. If the is the case, I would -think- that the shafts are paper weights and you would need to get a set that matches the axle houseing.

Like I said before. This is a best guess. I don't know what your are looking at.

<font color=purple>When I'am not in my right mind, my left mind getts pretty couded</font color=purple>

<font color=blue>Twiztid</font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Twiztid on 09/08/01 11:35 PM.</FONT></P>

4. Scooter

Scooter 1/2 ton status

Thanks Twiz ..

Really all i am doing is changing the axle shafts in the 14SF. I wish I had a digital camera to take some pics of all this. Thinking about it now i do remember seeing someing about the different brake options .. maybe thats it. The new axle shafts are the same length (left / right) and so are the old ones (left / right) with the new ones are about 3/4" longer. The bearings are riding on the machined surfaces of the shaft.

I am going with the TSM brackets. When I called and spoke with Chip there he said that I will need to measure the distance from the backing plate flange to the axle shaft flange and let them know the measurement .. he said it will be either close to 3" or about 5"-5.5" .. mine are about 5.25".

Scot in KC, MO.

5. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Ya' got the big-brake option shafts, they have different drums to match the wider brake shoes. Sounds like you are in the clear. Give them the measurement .[​IMG] (don't sweat the small stuff I.E. a 1/4 inch)

Hmm, Now the I said that, then that would make the Trac-Width an inch wider on the big/brake trucks... Ahh-well, I'm probably misssing something, nothing to be worried about.

Good luck with it.

<font color=purple>Hi, I'm </font color=purple><font color=blue>Twiztid.</font color=blue><font color=purple> How do you like me so-far?</font color=purple>

6. Scooter

Scooter 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]<font color=red>COOL!!! Thanks Twiz.. You da MAN!!!</font color=red>[​IMG]

Scot in KC, MO.

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Scot, glad you got that straightened out!! [​IMG]

I was hoping someone else on the forums might know what to tell you!

Glad to see your new shafts are not going to 'waste'!!! [​IMG]

Let us know how the whole thing goes together and the rear disc installation for the SF.

<font color=red>I'm a "black top mudder"!!!</font color=red>

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy</a>

8. Scooter

Scooter 1/2 ton status

Will do. Hopefully I'll get the brackets ordered on Monday and get everything put together this next week. Then I'm taking a week of vacation either the 3rd or 4th week of september and putting it all together. 4" rought country all spring lift, new axles, sway bar disconnects, etc. .. I still need to get some tires (33's or 35's .. haven't decided which) and sell off the 8 lug stuff and all 4 leaf springs from the 3/4 ton burb yet though. Unfortunately I dont have access to a digital camera anymore so i wont be able to take pics [​IMG].

Scot in KC, MO.