Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14sf help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by REDCRO_REDNECK, Aug 30, 2005.

1. REDCRO_REDNECK

REDCRO_REDNECK 1/2 ton status

my pinion seal is leaking, how would one replace it and not mess up the gears?

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

It could be easy. It all depends on whether or not you can get the old seal off without pulling the pinion.

Remove the pinion nut and yoke and make some kind of hook tool that can yank the old seal out without messing up the pinion splines. Try to make this work, because the alternative is a lot of work.

The alternative is to remove the axleshafts, carrier and pinion. :doah: This doesn't mess up your gears as long as you are meticulous and make sure every shim goes back in exactly the same place it came from. Once you have an empty axle housing, the seal should be easy to replace.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

a good buddy of mine at a gm shop told me a real good trick. take a chisle and mark the yoke and end of the pinon. remove it do the work and install parts back . then line up mark and go past the thickness of the mark. it has worked for him over the years and save lots of hassle.

4. REDCRO_REDNECK

REDCRO_REDNECK 1/2 ton status

anyone know the torq. spec on the pinion yoke?

5. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

You need to scribe a mark on the pinion nut, pinion and yoke. When you reasemble tighten the nut until it bottoms out and the scibe mark on the pinion lines up with the mark on the nut. I usualy tighten the nut just slightly beyond the mark. If you go too tight you will further crush the crush sleeve and risk placing too much preload on the pinion bearings.