Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14sf questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudhog, Jun 4, 2003.

1. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

ok a friend of mine needs a 14sf. we found one but it is 8lug how hard is it to change over to a 6lug and what all would we need to do it?

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Just pull the axle shaft's, and drum's, take em to a machine shop, and have them redrilled to whatever 6 bolt pattern. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Take a wheel along too, to see if it fit's the shoulder on the axle. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

yea I dont see why that wouldent work might be a little more complicated then that /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif but you could just get some 6lug axle shafts Im pretty sure they go right in

4. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

6 lug swap info

I just did all this and here are a few pointers:

There are two lengths of the 6-lug shafts you will need the longer ones

I had to move my backing plate mounts back to accomodate for the axle/drum arrangement. That was kinda a pain, but can be done. Others that have done this didn't have to do that. The only thing I can think that is different would be the year of axles that we used. Different axle years have different spaced mounts for the backing plates?

You will have to use 11" brakes. The brake hardware that come on the late model 3/4 ton 6-lug stuff are the same as the 11" brakes that are on my 88 10-bolt.

If you have any more ?'s lemme know

5. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

TonyP sells an 8 to 6 spacer that spaces the wheel out to match the D44 and swaps to 6-lug at the same time. Thats what I plan on doing when I put my 14FF in. I think it was like 170 plus shipping but could be off... send Tony a note and I am sure he can tell ya. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Done it before. Refer to the post 88Jimmy linked to. I can also try and answer any questions you may have too.

John

7. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

if i had a 14sf 6lug and a 14sf 8 lug could i just take all the stuff of the 6 lug and put it on the 8 lug one?

8. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Should be able to. I got all my stuff through the dealer, have a friend that works there.

I converted a 8 lug from a '86 suburban to six lug using the brakes from a 6 lug light duty 2500.

Good luck with the swap.

John