Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14sf-vs-14ff

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by pr1aw, Oct 15, 2001.

1. pr1aw

pr1aw 1/2 ton status

I'm going to run 35's and 4.10/11 gears with a detroit, and do moderate rock crawling. Will the 14sf hold up? Looking to keep the ground clearance and 6 lug pattern.

2. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I dont know much about the SF rear, except that if you break and axle youre screwed. I went with the FF. You can grind alot off the bottom and smooth it out to keep from catching on stuff.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/outlaw613/K5.html>http://www.geocities.com/outlaw613/K5.html</a>

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have the SF. I don't see a problem rock crawling with it with 35s, but I don't rock crawl. I have seen 12 bolts hold up to 44" tires in mud, and the 14 bolt is so much bigger than a 12 bolt it's pathetic. I would try it and see what happens.

The axleshafts are monsterous. I can't even picture one breaking. Anyone seen it happen?

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

4. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I have a 14FF with 36s and I go on rocky trails with it. I hit a rock with it last Thursday, I just backed up and added a little more [​IMG] pedal and it slid right over. It makes a horrible sound (especially the 1st time you drag it) but these things practicly are indestructable so its OK. The problem with these axles isnt the ground clearance but the lip on the bottom that catches everything. Have a welder weld on a peice of steel to smooth out the lip and your good to go. As for the 6 lugs, you can get that too in an FF. Check out Donovan's site, he made one. He was offering to machine down anyones hub and axleshaft (I forget how much $ he wanted) so you can save your 6 lug wheels. I wanted to swap in a 6 lug SF last year until I went to rotate my tires and found 5 broken wheelstuds. Not wanting to loose a wheel on the highway or 5 miles into the woods, I went 8 lug and never looked back. And yes I have 15" wheels

5. Sammy

Sammy 1/2 ton status

in reply to:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have seen 12 bolts hold up to 44" tires in mud,
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Did any of those 12bolters have lockers? Axles without lockers can hold way way more then open diff ones.

I'm planning on ARB locking a 12bolter running 35's. I wanna know if this will be a problem.

1988 K5 Blazer Silverado Grand GT in the Netherlands. "No it does not fit everywhere overhere, but after one pass through it will fit the next time"