Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14sf vs 14ff

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by exodus, Oct 31, 2002.

1. exodus

exodus Registered Member

im soon to buy a used truck that has an np205 th400 dana 60 and 14sf my question is will the 14sf be as durable as a 14ff. are the non full floating as good as full floating untill it breaks and the axle falls out /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif or are there strength differances?

2. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I believe the 14ff has a little larger axle than the 14sf.

IIRC It's like comparing 35 spline to a 32 spline. I don't know of anyone who has broken a 14sf axle yet. But knowing my luck, I will probably be the first... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The biggest issue with most people here is the pin (or a C-clip) breakage on the 14sf. Again, I haven't heard of anyone breaking this yet.

3. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I have broken a 14sf before, and let me be the first to say it sucks! I was attempting to pull a new F350 4x4 out of a snow bank. I was up on the pavement and once my tires had burned through the ice and got good traction I heard a loud pop. I got out and looked but couldn't see anything. I told the guy to dig out some more and I would be back. I got about 50 yards down the road and the right rear hit the ground. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Learned my lesson on 14sf that day, but fortunately the truck was still under warranty.

Mike

4. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

CRAP!

Did the axle break? Or the pin/C-clip

If you recall? thanks.

I have been wondering if I should carry an extra C-clip/pin and/or rear axles.

5. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

It was the axle right where the splines start.

Mike

6. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

My brother and I used 14sf for many years on our trucks with 35's and never had any problems off road. I did break two axles- one power braking in double low and another after I went to 38's doing burnouts on the street. We were surprised they held up so well to our big blocks and fullsize trucks. It was nice to have the extra ground clearance.

7. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I know the 14SF narrow down at the splines, hence the break at the spline. IIRC the 14FF don't narrow down.

I would be interested if anyone knows the true axle diameter between the two.

TIA
    TO

8. exodus

exodus Registered Member

sounds like you guys are kinda harsh on your rigs power braking with a doubler and 38 inch burnouts i was mainly gunna use it for mud with 39.5 tsl's
    im currently useing 4.11 geared 12 bolt d44 front and rear with no problems at all but with the tire increase i wanted more beef for a little security /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
    im going to go for the SF version and hope for the best /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

and if i remember correct shock is the best way to destroy an axle /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

Are you going to be getting rid of both axles? I'd like to have the gears out of them or at least the 12 bolt if thats all you're swaping. Thanks.

Evan

10. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I think the 14SF is not going to have he beef you expect. Because of the C-clip design, the overall strength is not much greater than a 12 bolt axle. The carrier and ring gear will be more stout, but if you break an axle shaft, your screwed.

I would think about upgrading to a 14ff, esp if you are running big tires. You will likely never have any problems with it, which is something you cannot say about a 14sf.

11. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I don't think a 14sf can handle 39.5s

Good luck.

12. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I think the 14SF is not going to have he beef you expect. Because of the C-clip design, the overall strength is not much greater than a 12 bolt axle.

[/ QUOTE ] excuse me!? i'm sorry but a 14sf is a lot stronger than a 12b, my suburban has been jumped 3 times on it's 14sf and 36" TSLs and not ONE problem yet! lets do that to a 12b on a suburban and see what happens.

13. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Why chance it. Maybe you got lucky. When/if it does break you will be stranded.

And you are only as strong as your weakest link. The housing and gears may be stronger, but that don't mean sh** if you tire falls off.