Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

15" 8 lug wheels - D60/14FF swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Emmettology 101, Aug 28, 2000.

1. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

15\" 8 lug wheels - D60/14FF swap

What back spacing will I need to run 15" 8 lug wheels on a FF 14 and a D60?

I will have to grind the front calipers to get these on, correct?

Also, when swapping in a front D60 and a 14FF from a 44/12 bolt combo, what all will I need other than the axles and 8 lug wheels? For example, will I need new brakelines, draglink, etc...??

I know I will need new u-bolts, can anyone tink of anything else I will need?

Thanks

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: 15\" 8 lug wheels - D60/14FF swap

I'm not sure on the D60 front but on the 14 bolt rear I had to change the shock mount location on the rear end, other than that it just bolted up. I'm not sure about driveshaft changes because my 14 bolt came out of a wrecked 3/4 ton Blazer and I got the driveshaft with it.
    I believe Stockton Wheel has just about any combo of width and back-spacing in a 15" wheel with an 8 lug pattern. Probably a little pricey though.
    Rene

[​IMG]

3. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

The spring plate on the pass. side is specific to a dana 60, so you'll need that. The driver's side spring plate might be a smidge different, but a D44 one will work. Also, a D44 steering arm will not fit a D60. The tie-rod for a D60 is shorter by about 1" if you change that. The D44 swaybar will fit, also. You will need to shorten your front driveshaft, also, but normally they share the same small u-joint.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Ok, I swapped on a 3/4 ton 44 and a 14b FF onto my 76 k10. I had to do a LOT of caliper/backing plate grinding. Took hours of test fitting, grinding, etc. Pain the the arse. It just barely fit then. I can't imagine the 60 would actually fit 15" unless you had a silly amount of backspacing or wheel spacers. If you do end up getting it to fit, let me know how you did it because I eventually would like to move up to 60 but didn't go for it since I didn't think a 15" rim would fit.
    I bought my wheels from 4WPW, black Rock Crawlers. Steel, 15", 8 or 6 1/2, $58 each. Stockton has them too, want more money for them. Backspacing is either 3 1/2 or 4, can't remember. 4WPW can tell you.
    You will need new yokes for your transfer case. I have a 205 and the 1350 rear output yoke was $80 from the dealer. You can buy it online for about $50 (I didn't know that at the time.) You would also need the front output yoke in the 1350 flavor, probably same part number since they are both simple fixed yokes, 32 spline.
    You can buy the 1310/1350 conversion ujoint, but unless the money's really tight, do it the right way. Hey if it was that tight, you couldn't affored the 60!
    About brakes, I converted the 14 bolt to disc and put all new calipers/master cycliner/stainless steel lines. A word of advice - don't reuse junkyard rotors, new ones are only $40 each or so.
    Lets see what else... The yoke on the tcase is a pain to change out since it takes a 1 5/16" socket, but the 1310 yoke is so small you can't get the socket on the nut. I had to grind of enough of the yoke to get the socket on!
    I assume the 14 bolt is from a 3/4 right? If you get it from a 1 ton the spring perches are in the wrong place and you'll have to weld them in the right place - better to just use the 3/4 ton FF and it's a direct bolt on.
    Find out if the rear is LSD (a lot are) because you'll need the limited slip additive from the dealer ($8).
    Any questions, email me at kyu4@netzero.net and I'll see if I know the answer.
    -- Mike

p.s. The shock mounts were in the right place on the 3/4 ton version, at least for me.

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I was reading an article in one of the four wheel mags and in the sidebar it was talking about 8 lug, 15" rims. Supposedly 4 Wheel Parts makes the 15" rockcrawler in the 8 lug pattern with a 2 or 2.5" backspacing which supposedly clears the the 3/4 ton brake components.

6. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

TX Mudder is right. I did the same swap and had to grind the HELL out of the backing plates and calipers to get the wheels to fit. I got a set of 8 spokes from Discount Tires in dallas. They were about 50 bucks a piece. I doubt you could get a 15 inch rim on a dana 60 front. There would be WAY TOO MUCH grinding involved. And, the only drawback to the 2 inch backspacing is that the wheels will stick out of the fenders pretty far. I would go with 16.5's or 16's. Before my bud bought wheels for his dana 60 he tried to test fit one of my 8 lug 15x10's. From the way it looked, it just wouldn't fit, too much caliper to grind.

BIGJ