Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

15 inch wheels with 1 ton drivetrain

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ChadH82, Jul 8, 2001.

1. ChadH82

ChadH82 1/2 ton status

I remember some posts about this in the past but I couldn't find them. I have the problem of wanting 15's because there is a wide variety of tire choices for them but I don't think they'll fit. Then you go to 16's and your tire choice goes to crap. Then you go to 16.5's and your tire falls of the bead. I've decided I don't want 16's so what will I have to do to get 15's to fit or would I be better going with a 16.5 and just not airing down as much? Can I get a 15 with enough backspacing to fit? I also like the idea of beadlocks and I don't think you can get them on 16.5's. Anyhoo... I think I've rambled enough. What do you guys think?

2. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I think you've rambed enough too.[​IMG].....Anyways about the 1 ton gear. The 15's will fit over the 14 bolt drums with no problems. As far as the front? You'll have to do some major grinding on the backing plates and calipers to make them fit. I just did this to my truck and I've had no problems yet. Good luck!

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<font color=red>SEMPER FI TO MY BLAZER

3. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I've got pictures of dana 60 calipers ground for 15x10 wheels with 4 1/8" of backspacing. Email me if you want me to send them. It is a lot of material but these parts are thick so it wont hurt anything.</font color=blue>

4. ChadH82

ChadH82 1/2 ton status

So if you could do it again would you go with 15's or 16.5's? Is the extra work worth being able to air down a little more? Is 10 psi the lowest you can safely go with 16.5's? OK OK I'm rambling again.....

Chad

5. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

So what size tire do you want? There is getting to be a lot more 16" sizes available now.

What's the deal with 16.5" beadlocks? Why has noone offered this yet? Why don't they just put safety beads on 16.5"s? Anybody know?

Lift It, Lock It, LIVE IT!!!

6. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>It wasnt on my truck, it was my fathers. If I blow up my 8 lug 44 too much and get a 60, I will do this to it. I have heard of 16.5" wheels loosing beads at as high as 15 PSI. It all depends on the wheel and tire combo you have.</font color=blue>

7. ChadH82

ChadH82 1/2 ton status

I want to go with 39.5" boggers. Do you guys think an 18" tire is too wide? The tread width is 15". I saw them on a Sub and they didn't look that wide. I really want boggers but the sizes are killin me. They're either too wide or too skinny. I'd go for the 37" but I really want to go bigger than that.

Chad

8. NoRulz

NoRulz 1/2 ton status

the 16.5 never had a safety lip because when 16.5s were originally introduced, they were designed for use in applications that carried alot of weight... this normally warrants a tire with a 10-14 or even more ply rating... due to the thickness a sidewall can get on a tire like this, not to mention the tightness going over the lip, they were just designed to use a tapered seat... which at 50-120psi, would never come loose anyway... just a tradeoff we've had to live with since 30+ years ago nobody would have imagined where we'd be using our rigs today

My Ford has chevy parts! it's all good!

9. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Is 3 1/4" of backspacing to little?

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.thehungeronline.com>http://www.thehungeronline.com</A>