Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

15" rims on 3/4 axles?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by grtwhite, Nov 13, 2000.

1. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

15\" rims on 3/4 axles?

Anyone running 15" rims on 3/4 or 1 ton axles. I've seen guys in Four Wheeler's TTC run them. What mods have to made if any? Do you have to run some crazy offset? Thinking of upgrading to 3/4 ton axles, it'd be nice to only have to buy new rims. Thanks for the help! - Jay

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

Re: 15\" rims on 3/4 axles?

<font color=blue>Yeah, I have 15x10s on my 3/4 ton axles. They fit over the stock drums (I used disks) but you have to grind the front calipers, its no big deal</font color=blue>

3. bherring

bherring Registered Member

I just changed over to 3/4 ton axles (Dana44 & 14Bolt) and ordered American Racing 15X10 wheels with 2 inches of backspacing. I ended up grinding a bit more than I planned. It wasn't really the caliper as much as the mounting plate on either side of it. I've wheeled the hell out of it since and it seems to be just fine. I got some mixed opinions when I was trying to find out about it. Some say "ok" and some say "never". The structural integrity of the mounting plate seems slightly reduced, but I haven't seen any problems yet. Let me know how it goes. -Beck.

81/350/350/208/D44/14B

4. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I had to grind the backing plates too. They're really thick and the only way I can see one breaking is if its really rusted. A bonus to this is that 15" tires and wheels are cheaper than 16 or 16.5 and more availible than 16s. Plus, you have more sidewall which means the tires fold over rocks better.</font color=blue>

5. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I have 15" rockcrawler rims on my 3/4 axles. Fits the rear with disc easy, but the front axle required some SERIOUS grinding on the backing plate, like someone said.
    I'm not worried about the integrity of the backing - it is really thick and I only used the grinder on the first 2/3 of it or so. Buy the contracter 10-pack of 4" grinding wheels if you're going to do it :)
    -- Mike

6. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the input guys! So do they fit over the 14 bolt FF drums? Since all you really mentioned was grinding the front backing plates. - Jay

7. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

They fit the rear 14 bolt with drums just fine. No grinding necessary.

Communication Breakdown
    74 Blazer
    Zeppelin

8. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Beck,

Are you saying you bought 15X10 Aluminum wheels? Does someone make Aluminum wheels with 15X10 size and 8 lug pattern? I am about to buy some Eaton Black Steel rims, but I wanted Aluminum.

Thanks,

Neil

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue>www.mudzer.coloradoK5.com</font color=blue>

9. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I thought the drums on my FF looked too big for my 15x10, but I never tried to fit them on. I used the TSM disc brake kit and it fits easily.
    So I can't say one way or the other about the drums.
    -- Mike

10. Re: 15\" rims on 3/4 axles?

Did any of you guys have to change the brake booster/master cylinder/proprtioning valve, etc. on your brakes? I heard that you had to upgrade to 3/4 ton brakes if you made the change from a 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton axles. I know this has been discussed somewhat before, but I'd like to hear from you guys that have already made the change.

11. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

Mudzer, How much are those Eaton 15 x 10 rims gonna cost? TX Mudzer, What did the TSM disk brake kit set you back?
    - Jay

12. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Jay,

I am getting the 15X10s without the beadlocks for $68. I was going to spend the extra and get the Beadlocks, but I have heard too much bad publicity about them.

Neil

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue>www.mudzer.coloradoK5.com</font color=blue>

13. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Just thought I'd let you guys know that if you are looking for good wheels at a cheap price, I paid $48.00 a piece for my 8 spokes from discount tire in dallas. 15X10 steel eight lug wheels with 4 inch backspacing. They were white, but I had them powdercoated black. Even with the powdercoating they were still cheaper than the eaton wheels.

BIGJ

14. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

When I put my 3/4 ton axles on my 86 1/2 ton truck I kept the stock master cylinder and booster. I didn't have any problems and I had good pedal height.

Communication Breakdown
    74 Blazer
    Zeppelin