Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

15" vs 16"/16.5"/17" Wheels

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RodsRVF, Apr 26, 2005.

1. RodsRVF

RodsRVF Registered Member

I did a search and I am not sure if I am not asking the wrong question but I am not getting what I want answered. Sorry if this has already been covered.

My questions is why does everyone want 15" wheels when it seems like it is getting harder to find 8 lug rims in 15" x 10" size and you have to do mods on the dana 60 calipers to use them?

If I don't want to do mods would the 16" be the way to go or would the 16.5" or 17" be the way the tires are going?

My Blazer is used only for hunting/shooting/camping trips. I will never use it as a rock climber. The tire size I want is 35" or 315/75-?

Thanks for your help,
    Rod

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

people want to use 15's, because they have a safety lip, and plentiful, cheap tires. 16's arent available in all sizes and are more expensive than their 15" counterparts. 16.5's dont have the safety lip, so they are more likely to lose a bead when aired down, but they have a fair selection of heavy duty(more E rating) tires, about as many size options as 15's do, and are some of the cheaper tires. I dont know about 17's safety lip, they are slowly getting more tire options, but IIRC they are a little more expensive.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

15s are the cheapest... tires for 15s are the cheapest. That pretty much ended the discussion for me. I didn't want to waste mad $$$$ getting bling-bling huge rims. Small rims have more tire around them also, keeps rocks at a safe distance. AFA grinding a D60 goes, if 35s and hunting/camping/shooting is all you're ever going to do, save yourself some $ and skip on the 1-ton front end.

if you must have big rimz, I'd recommend 17s. They seem to be the 'rim size of the future'. Pretty much every single recently introduced tires come in 17" sizes. Pretty sure a bunch of stock rigs come with 17s these days too... which always helps build larger aftermarket support.

j

4. RodsRVF

This brings up the question on the dana 60 front axle. The rear axle just died and I found a 14 ff in a junk yard for $250. I am going to have to regear the front and also want 8 lug too. I found a dana 44 for $450 or a dana 60 for $600 both in the correct gearing. For the extra $150 is it worth to get the 1 ton now so I know it won't fail?

Thanks for all the help,
    Rod

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

really depends on what you do, but 600 is a pretty good price for a 60, i would get it just based on that, but i also like having the peace of mind that my stuff is pretty dang strong.
    As for the rims, i see the after market going the way of bigger rims, i got 17's based on this, and the fact that ther is now way im going to grind on my brakes to fit 15's, i got H2 rims for 45$ea. some have gottten them cheaper, but i dont think you cand beat the value and availibility of these rims

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

$450 is WAY too much for a stock Dana 44........maybe if it had lower aftermarket gears and a locker.

$600 is a really good price for a complete front Dana 60. I would definitely spend $600 for the 60 before getting ripped off on the Dana 44.

$250 is really too much for a 14FF, but not completely ridiculous.

7. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

But a D60/14 FF combo for $850 is a good deal.

8. RodsRVF

Are H2 rims a bolt up? If not what has to be done to make them work? Any pictures of them on the Blazer?

9. RodsRVF

Well the Dana 60 just fell though. It was not what he said it was. If $450 is too much for a Dana 44, what is a good price and any ideas where to get one in so california?
    Thanks.

10. jekbrown

whats wrong with the front axle you have now? its free and just as strong as a D44.

There are adapters/spacers to convert you ff14b to 6 lug... ff14bs are 3" narrower than your front axle anyway. More rim options in 6 lug too. Just an option...

j

11. RodsRVF

Nothing wrong with it that I know of other than the 8 lug plus I was going to have to regear it to 4.10. I thought it would be cheaper to find a dana 44 that had the 4.10 in it and would also take care of the 8 lug at the same time. Who make the conversion for 6 lug that you talk about?

12. jekbrown

yeah, i suppose getting an axle with the right gears/lugs would be the cheaper alternative... just don't pay $450 for a 1/2 ton front end. lol! keep shopping!

AFA who makes the 8-to-6 lug spacers/adapters... thats a good question. I know I've seen them... maybe someone else who has a better memory can chime in?

j

13. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

14. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

There's an 8 lug 10 bolt front in the san diego parts trader.

15. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I dont know why 16" tires cost so much more than 15" tires. I do know that you can get significantly higher weight ratings on 16" tires than 15" tires though. (I've seen over 3800 lbs per tire, i think the toyo m55's, with steel sidewalls)

16. RodsRVF

Can I get the info from you on the "There's an 8 lug 10 bolt front in the san diego parts trader."
    Thanks,
    Rod