Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

15"vs.16.5"

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Russell Keys, May 26, 2000.

1. Russell Keys

Russell Keys 1/2 ton status

15\"vs.16.5\"

Why is there a difference between 15" and 16.5" rims and tires. The two have totally different types of beads. And since the 16.5" rims are more prone to separating from the tire at low pressures why don't they make a 16.5" beadlock wheel, or if they do who carries them besides Stockton Wheel?
    Thanks, Russell

2. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Re: 15\"vs.16.5\"

I think it's stupid that the 16.5 doesn't have that bead lip. You would think they could do that but it must be some lame reason they don't. Check out the 16" rims. The have the bead lip and you can get 16x10 rims (6 or 8 lug) but the tires sizes are a little scarce. Steve the owner of this site runs 16x10 Liberty (looks like M/T but cheaper) and 36x12.5x16 Swamper radials. Check them out.

Shawn
    87 K5
    with 16.5 rims
    thinking about tire-loc...

3. Rockblazer

Rockblazer 1/2 ton status

Re: 15\"vs.16.5\"

I think the big problem with making bead locked 16.5 wheels is the legality of them. Bead locks are not stree legal so I don't think that they would sell a lot of them. However, if you still would like 16.5 rims, a custom shop here is SD is currently making some really cool wheels. They will have both an internal bead lock and external, any wheel pattern and custom width. The price.... well they won't be cheap, but if you are interested, let me know. Take care.... Todd

"You're right... I don't understand that Jeep thing!"