Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

15" wheels on a 14 bolt ff

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by codyoffroad, Oct 23, 2002.

1. codyoffroad

codyoffroad Registered Member

15\" wheels on a 14 bolt ff

I was woundering if 15 inch wheels would fit on a 14 bolt ff? if so how much back spacing? would they stick ot yery far? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. DeafyHTowner

DeafyHTowner Registered Member

Re: 15\" wheels on a 14 bolt ff

sorry to interrupt...i'm a newbie here /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif anyways, what is "ff"?? 14 bolts, does it mean that it's really strong or normal?? trying to learn stuff here /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

check out the technical section on the home page.it has an article on what you are asking.

4. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,

it means "full floater" /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

yes they will fit. I had 15x10 chrome spokes on my 71 with a 14 FF, they were standard backspacing. THe front is another story though. especially if you are running a Dana 60 as I am... now i regret grinding my calipers as i run 16's at present time but Live and learn I spose.

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Mine fit with 4" of backspacing.

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

...To expand on Bob's answer....Full Floater means that the axle has two sets of bearings to support the axle shaft.

The main benefit is that the weight of the truck is supported by the bearings and not the axleshaft. On semi-floater axles (10-Bolt, 12-Bolt, and 14SF) the axle shaft not only provides turning forces to the wheel but also has to hold the weight of the vehicle.

The MAIN reason that you'll want a FF axle is if you ever break an axleshaft.....on a semi-float design the wheel falls out of the axletube, and leaves you stranded. On a FF design, you can still get home. And getting HOME is the name of the game!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

ps. A 14 bolt SF axle with a rear disc brake conversion would also get you home, but that's a topic for another time. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

8. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i have 15x8's on mine..cant remember the exact back spacing right now but i think it is right around 2 1/2 to 2 1/4..but my tires stick out about 2inches on each side...not too bad...but last time the chp pulled me over he gave me a hard time.....kinda bs if ya ask me...my room mates jeep...the inside of the tires are outside of the body compleatly...and the cops have never messed with him about it...altho..i dont think he takes a corner at 35+ and drifts the corner with a CHP sittin less than 100 yards from where i was /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif