Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

15" Wheels on D60

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by 72THING, Feb 13, 2002.

1. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

15\" Wheels on D60

I just wanted to tell you guys who want to run 15" wheels with a D60 that its possible with no grinding to the caliper. I'm running 15" x 10" Rockcrawler steel wheels from 4WPW with about 2.5" of backspacing. I know this makes the overall front track width wider, but it keeps trees and rocks off the body. I'm running them front and rear and really like them because of the safety bead (which 16.5" wheels don't have) and the fact that they clear the D60 calipers. I know this isn't really related to OffRoad deisgn, but I have seen some questions about Stephen's TR beadlocks and was presenting an alternative.
    Thanks,

Will

'72 C10, originally 2WD, 6"Springs f+r, Dana 60 f+r, Lock-Right front, welded rear, 4.56s, 350, SM465, NP205, 39.5" TSLs, ORD crossover steering

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: 15\" Wheels on D60

No. They won't even come close to clearing without grinding.

Do a search on this in the regular forum.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

3. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

dude. He's telling, not asking.

Dont say " NO " to a guy who is already apparently running the combo in question. Ask him for pics, dont tell him he doesnt have his own setup.

-matt
    <font color=purple> "Stuff's only good for 2 things, degreasing engines and killing brain cells"</font color=purple>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/shaggyk5>www.geocities.com/shaggyk5</a>

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

You can usually get away with 3 and maybe 3.5" of backspace without doing anything major to the caliper. No more than minor metal removal. 2.5" would definitely work!

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

5. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Sorry buddy. I have seen the Thing. I have shed blood, sweat, and tears on that truck. I have frozen my arse off working on it with him. It has pulled me out MANY times. He has 15X10 wheels on his D60. On one side (passenger, I think) the wheel clears the caliper with no problem. On the other, Will had to remove flashing from the casting of the caliper. That was all, just extra material left over from the casting process. I sure do wish I had know about those when I bought my 16.5's. I bet if anyone asks, he would post the PN.

6. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

Bill, you da Man. Thanks for the good words. The PN for the wheels is 82-5181R2.5. They are $61.95 each plus shipping. This is for 15 x 10, 8-lug, white steel wheels with 2.5" backspacing. It took several weeks to get them because they had to build them, then ship them to 4WPW, then ship them to me, but it was well worth it. After helping to extract Bill's truck from the mud with only three tires and seeing him shed a tire from the wheel another time, I wanted safety beads! Hope this helps someone.

Will

7. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Any strength related issues with those wheels? I looked at them &amp; want to get a set of 42" TSL's (like Stephen has) but would prefer a 15" rim for the safety bead. The 4WPW Rock crawlers seem very cheap for a "custom" wheel. Has there been any problems with the ones with the 2.5" backspacing??

Thanks

8. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

What size tires are you running? How far do they stick out? When you flex do they tuck in the fender wells or do they hit? Personally I'd like to run 15" myself but I dont want them way out there and I rather remove my entire front clip then shave my calipers if ya know what I mean. I'm most likely going with 42's for that same reason as well, dont want it to wide.

9. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

So far there have been no strength related issues with these wheels. I have abused the hell out of them and they don't show any signs of failure. I have always liked steel wheels because of their strength, durability, and most of all, price. I am running Swamper TSLs, 39.5 x15-15. They're one size down from the 42s and the same width, at 15". They do stick out from the truck some and they will sling some mud through the window if its rolled down, but I reallly don't care. They tuck nicely into the fender wells when fully flexed out, mainly because I have about 8" of lift overall (6" springs and custom fabricated spring hangers) and I have cut fenders. With the 6" of lift I had before, they didn't tuck in quite as much. I had to remove the slightest bit of metal from the caliper where they meet the wheel, maybe 1/8th of an inch. But that was only on one side, and I think it was due to some extra metal sticking out resulting from the casting process. The other side clears with no problem. I'm running Autozone calipers. After seeing some people grind away more than half the caliper to fit a wheel with 4" or more backspacing, it didn't bother me a bit to clearance just a little. I know what you mean about shaving the caliper too much- it really seems dangerous. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Will

10. ca89blazer

ca89blazer Registered Member

A buddy and I are both running the rock crawler 15x10 w/ 2.5 back spacing and have had no problems. Ares are the crome ones that cost a few dollars more.