Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

15" wheels

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dpearson, Jul 31, 2000.

1. dpearson

dpearson Registered Member

15\" wheels

Just wondering if anyone has put 15" wheels on 1ton axles and what the pros and cons are?

2. Re: 15\" wheels

You cant put 15" wheels on a one ton axle,they have the 13" breakes.They will fiton a 3/4 ton axle most of them have the 11 1/2" breakes,but the best thing to do is measure what you have and go from there.There are so many combinations of axles and breakes there is no way to realy unless you just check what you have.

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

3. dpearson

Re: 15\" wheels

I'll check. So with the 13" brakes + the drum I suppose it is greater than 15". Thanks

4. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

15" wheels WILL fit on on 13" brakes. Almost all 14 bolt FF axles have 13" brakes.

The main problem you will have is the front axle. Whether you have a 3/4 ton Dana 44, 3/4 GM 10 bolt, or 1 ton Dana 60, you will have to grind the calipers to make them fit. Alot of metal will have to be grinded off.

They did this awhile back in Petersens (Project Cheap Thrills) when the put 15" rims on a FF 14 bolt (13" brakes) and a 8 lug Dana 44.

Pros will be the internal safety bead (15" and 16" wheels have this) so you can air down and more tire choices.

Cons would be having to grind that caliper which could reduce the caliper strength plus replacing the caliper would suck since you would have to re-grind the new caliper.

Shawn
    87 K5
    with a few mods
    [​IMG]

5. Re: 15\" wheels

Thanks Shawn I did'nt know that either.

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

6. dpearson

I was told a pro would be I could keep my 35's and that 15in tires are alot less expensive, supposedly down here they do it alot because the people from Mexico cant find used 16.5's.