Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

150ton press vs harden steel.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, Apr 1, 2005.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well today i went back to the steel yard to have some holes drilled so i could bolt on my bumper to my frame. I had two 1/4" thick plates and then a 3/4" plate. Instead of drilling the holes they use a machine that presses down with 150tons of pressure and just pushes a punch through the metal its freakin awesome to watch. Then he put the 3/4" plate in and went to punch a 1" hole through it. Well the machine tried.. made some noise and didnt do much, so he got a slightly smaller bit and did it again,, with a huge BOOOOM it somehow made it through. When it was pressing down though you could watch the punch actually expand then contract once it got through the metal. The 2nd hole he went to do was the final one,, it started to go through then BANNNG it sounded like someone shot a gun off inside a metal box with you in it. The punch exploded and shaddered everywhere luckly missing everyone. After that happened i guess the guys figure the steel was to hard... so they gave me another piece and it punched through just fine. It was kinda crazy to think that the piece of steel i found in the back of my garage ended up beating a 150ton press or atleast the strong punch for it.

haha sorry about the randomness of this thread, i just found it amazing a machine can just push its way through soild thick metal, dont worry ill have pics of the bumper tommarow, its almost done.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Must have been T-1 or something. Pretty hard to tell unless it's marked...

Punches, Iron workers, press brakes and shears are all cool to use. Rolling steel is pretty cool too...

Rene

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

wow.

well, these pieces of steel will outlast whatever your building, thats for sure.

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

thay should have pre heated the thicker stuff. it would have punched much easyer. we use the same stuff at the spring shop to punch holes in the leafs.

5. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

the punch could also have been worn out, i have had many blow on my doing thin stuff, but after punching a few thousand holes it gets fatiged.

the gut could have also had the wrong clearanced between the male and female ends, if it was not big enuff then it will blow and bad. I caught a chunk of a punch in the gut once, could have been my face then that woulfd have been bad!:crazy: