Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

153 tooth flywheel - which starter?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Quack_Addict, Jan 11, 2003.

1. Quack_Addict

Quack_Addict 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif I'm working on a Frankenstein project. Where can I find a starter to fit a Chevy smallblock with 153 tooth flywheel? The starter I need has a STAGGERED bolt pattern, not straight.

Thanks for any help.

2. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Hey,
    All staggered starters are for the 16? tooth flywheels. Maybe 168 teeth ? The straight pattern is for the 153 or the 168 teeth patterns.
    If you need a staggered pattern...my 82 K5 w/350 uses one. But there are plenty of starters out there for the staggered pattern. If you need a stock one, just use my application. Go for a 4x4 style because of the closed nose cone. But if you want a high torque, just look in a mag like Summit or Jeg's for a "staggered bolt pattern", and it should say 168 teeth though.
    Blake

3. Quack_Addict

Quack_Addict 1/2 ton status

From what I understand, the staggered starter bolt pattern is for 168 tooth GM flywheels. The straight across starter bolt pattern is for the starter to mate with a 153 tooth flywheel.

The 168 toother measures 14" in diameter while the 153 tooth flywheel is only 12.75" in diameter. Both flywheels will bolt to a SBC crankshaft, but as the flywheels are different in size, different starters are needed.

Here's my pickle... Due to a special adaptive transmission bell housing, the 168 tooth flywheel is too large to fit inside, limiting me to a 153 tooth flywheel. However, the engine block is only drilled to accept a starter with a staggered bolt pattern.

I really don't want to drill and tap a hole in this new engine block due to the many things that can go wrong when doing so (hole off center, not drilled straight, broken drill bit, broken tap, etc).

I was wondering if for some reason at some point in time if GM made a staggered starter to interface with a 153 tooth flywheel. The application doesn't matter, whether Chevy or GMC... possibly even BOP, late model or old, car or truck, as long as the bolt pattern is staggered and the starter designed to fit the smaller flywheel.

4. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Hey,
    I've never heard of such a starter made. But stay away from anything "BOP", their starters are on the other side of the engine ! In summitt or Jeg's they make starters that you can rotate several degrees either way. I know this rotation won't help you, but the fact that the bolt area is removable might be of interest to you. If you get a machinist to make you a staggered piece to bolt or weld on to this removable deal, you might be in business.
    Blake

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

straigh bolts nose= 153 12.5" wheel or plate*

staggered boltsnose= 168 14" wheel or plate*

*only applies to aluminum manual tran bellhousing applications and to auto trans applications

6. BCB2

BCB2 Registered Member

Ok, along the same lines (but opposite) of the original Question, I have a 350 with the angled bolt hole stripped from the previous owner, is it possible to use the straight across pattern cone? I'm thinking this won't work, but the straight across hole is already tapped and ready to go. Just looking for confirmation from some one who has tried this.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Most of the aftermarket (not sure of the GM) "mini starters" can be used in both positions. Of course they are more money, but everyone except people on here like them. (I'm guessing the mini's don't like mud and a lot of dust/water)

BTW, the nose cones should be interchangeable, I don't believe the pinion gear changed tooth count to match the flywheel ring gear count, the distance from the crank due to flywheel/flexplate diameter was changed via the nose cone only. I've seen ones with all three holes in them, but can't remember the application.

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i agree, only the distance changed all cuz of thicker vs. thinner mounting surface differences of the noses

almost all noses will interchange with almost all motor housings, there are small mini kinda starters in the 80s on some firebirds and camaros and such that the housings and such are actually msaller diameter than the commmon large motor starters, ive been through this, they use the smalll wheel and straight bolt noses and are smaller diameter than usual, you can interchange with most all GM common sized noses/motors caddy pont, old, buick but not all the bendix's will work i have found out first hand personally that actuating arms sometimes vary from common staggered nose chevy starters, such as on 79 425 caddies, etc. i cant remember on 455 olds now, hmm

good luck