Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

16.5, 16, 15

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieBlazer, Sep 11, 2003.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

No time in my nearest dreams did I plan on having to swap in a 14bolt, still dont want to really but the opportunity and time has come to bulletproof another part of the truck....what are the delimas behind the different wheel sizes in general, I know all the grinding and other tech if I ever swap in a d60 front, and I plan on 8 lugging the front d44 regardless. Prices on tires seems to be higher on the 16 and 16.5" rims, what else should I be aware of?

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

16" tires are very limited in size availability as you go above 35".

Even with an 8 lug D44/10 bolt you may need to grind the caliper bracket to fit 15" wheels (see member tech section previews for article on what needs to be done).

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> If you run more than 3" or so of BS on a 15" wheel you have to grind on even a D44 or a 10b 3/4 ton. You are also limited to steel wheels, aluminum ones just plain won't fit.

16" wheels have pretty limited sizes available, although you can get military style tires for 16s also, which can be found rather inexpensively. You can go steel or aluminum with 16s.

16.5s are a good choice because there are lots of different sizes available for them, the problem is that they don't hold on to the tire very well because of a different bead style. If you don't air down your tires then this won't be a problem, but if you do air down you're limited to about 18 lbs before you risk popping beads. You can go lower but you have to be real careful about turning hard or putting excessive sideloading on the tire. Hummer wheels are a good way to go due to the double beadlock design, but you have to deal with getting the backspacing changed on them and the fact that it's hard to find anyone willing to balance them.</font>

4. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

I'm ordering a set of these for my K5. John is real easy to work with and makes some real nice wheels. Check them out and give him a call. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Eric

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

15" rims are (duh) smaller... so they are a little further from bashing rocks at low psi. They weigh less. They cost less. They have the biggest selection of tires available. They have a safety bead (unlike 16.5s!). All you have to do to enjoy all this wheel goodness is grind the calipers a bit. Ive done it twice... its really not that big a deal. Only reason I would ever run anything other than 15s would be if I got rockwells. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

6. txtough

txtough Registered Member

I'm in the same boat, I know I will have to grind the D44 for 15" wheels but what about the huge drums on the 14 bolt? Will a 15" rim fit over them?

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yes it will. For the five millionth time, yes, 14 bolt drums will fit 15 inch wheels.

Depending on your backspacing, grinding a front 44 or 10 bolt can be a big deal. Mine sure was.

8. txtough

txtough Registered Member

Thank you so much for your kind help I hope that it was not a burden to you. I did run a search before posting this question and did't get the answer I needed. I appreciate your help it saved me lots of time.

9. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Yes it will. For the five millionth time, yes, 14 bolt drums will fit 15 inch wheels.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude...WTF is that? You need to learn some tact. Despite what you seem to think, You don't know everything.

10. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

now if all else fails then stay with your 15" rims for now and when you go 8 lug in the front, sell them and get the new rims and tires then...these will keep you at 6 lug...

[​IMG]