Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

16.5 or 16 inch rims

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mikey von, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Mikey von

Mikey von 1/2 ton status

I have an oppertunity to purchase some ProComp Black Steelies that are 16.5 x 8. The come with some 35x12.5 BFG's AT with 12/32 tread left.

I have been wanting new tires and wheels but have been looking at 16" rims, which is the same size as my stockers. He wants $550 for them.

My burb will mainly see forest service trails with some mud and plently of snow. It may see some rocks but nothing to extreme. It will also see the highway, but not too much.

Is there any downsides to 16.5" over 16"?

Thanks, Michael

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

all i have run on my 1ton mud trucks is 16.5. just dont air down to far. i got away with 25 psi all the time. have heard of less and still no problems.

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

The inability to air down real low is all that i know if at the moment, but if you keep your wheeling to what you mentioned, you may not have to air down much if at all.
    I think there are more sizes now available for them, than there was not too long ago...Personally, i would stay with the 16's though, i don't like the look of the wheel lip sticking out as far as it does:p:

4. ivie29

ivie29 1/2 ton status

16.5s only have a 45 degree angle where the bead seats to the wheel. This makes them come off the wheel easier than the 16s and the 15s at low air pressure. I had a set of 38s on 16.5s and they worked good at 15psi but came off a lot at 10 psi. If you dont plan on running that low of pressure you should be fine.

5. Mikey von

Mikey von 1/2 ton status

So does $550 sound like a good price? The tires have about 70% tread left and the rims are like new. It is semi-local so there will be no shipping costs and I will be able to see them. I plan on traveling that way anyhow next week.

I have been wanting to get new rims with some 34" Trxus MT's. That set up will cost me over a grand then shipping (unless I can find them local at a good price).

I am pretty sure the boss will not let me swing a grand, since we are in the middle of building a house. I am working summer school this year so we will have extra $ and I can most likely get her to let me spend the $550 for fathers day.

6. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

If you're gonna be running lots of snow you're gonna find that you're going to want to flatten those tires, and with 16.5's (unles they're H1's) you won't be able to air down enough to have the performance you need without blowing beads.

I would say pass on the 16.5's based on your planned wheeling style.

7. Mikey von

Mikey von 1/2 ton status

[FONT=&quot]
    Not that I doubt a man from Montana (which I am sure gets tons of snow), but don't you want thinner tires in snow? I think I am lost???:confused:

We do not get too much snow, as we are at around 3500 ft. We usually get a foot or so then it takes about a week to melt, then we get another foot. Of course this is my first winter here, so I am still learning. I used to be city folk :D. I do have a 700+ ft driveway that is a decent slope that I will have to navigate. We are planning on not driving the Camary in the snow just due to the fact we will not be able to get off our property.
    [/FONT]

8. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

On hard packed snow you want high pressure and narrow. In deep snow (just like sand), you want fat tires with lots of floatation.... otherwise you just dig and then end up high-centered on your axles like this:

[​IMG]
    and this...
    [​IMG]
    and this...
    [​IMG]

The last one was with the H1's and aired down to 1psi, but the snow was about 4' deep and like sugar, so with my high-stall converter I couln't crawl along like I needed to. The guys who were doing the best had wide 44" tires aired down to <4 PSI and were idling along in their lowest gear

The other 2 pics were because I had 16.5's and couldn't comfortably air down enough to get the flotation I needed.

9. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

16.5" aired down to 2 psi. Ran on it like this all day and never lost the bead, inner or outer. Just food for thought.

[​IMG]

10. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

It appears as though you have one of your weld on beadlock kits on there. Is there something you're not telling us:D :haha:

Ira

11. Mikey von

Mikey von 1/2 ton status

I was wondering the same.

I told the guy I would decide by early afternoon today. I did get permission to spend the money, so now it is just up to me. I do not see myself airing down super low, but I guess things can change.

12. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Subliminal advertising... nice! :haha:

On that note, I ran my 16.5's all day on 1psi and never blew a bead, inner or outer :)
    [​IMG]

13. Mikey von

Mikey von 1/2 ton status

I ended up passing on these. My wife said I could get them if I really wanted, but she made some logical points. They are not needed as the 31.5's still are in good shape. $550 will go a long ways towards our wrap around deck or new shocks and struts on the Camary (which is badly needed). I also was unsure about getting 16.5" wheels.

Thanks for everyones advice and opinions.

14. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Heres a set of 44's on 16.5" W/O beadlocks and 12psi.Haven't lost a bead yet , but as you can see, I didn't hit bottom.:doah: Locks are coming soon.

DSCF0134.JPG

DSCF0134.JPG

15. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

NAHnanananananana!

16. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

550 was too much anyway. I sold mine for 500 and that included axles. only 3k on the tires.