Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

16.5" rim questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by extremeblazer, Dec 15, 2000.

1. extremeblazer

extremeblazer 1/2 ton status

16.5\" rim questions

does anybody make 16.5" beadlock rims and if so what size and backspacing? why don't they have a bead like other rims? has anybody used the screw method that is used for drag racing and if so does or will it work?

2. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

3. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Re: 16.5\" rim questions

There is a company called tirelock that makes a system for the 16.5" wheels, it's kind of like an inner tube system, but it works very well and is very pricy.

Steve
    [​IMG]
    1990 K5 with stuff

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Steve, those tirelocks are indeed VERY pricy. Over $700 when I inquired about them. That would buy a VERY nice set of 15 or 16 inch wheels that have the saftey bead.

16.5 inchers were just never designed with a safety bead to help hold the tire against the bead. To make a 16.5 wheel with the safety bead would mean a different tire design as well, since currrent 16.5 tires are made to fit a wheel without the safety bead.

I've got 16.5x9.75 American Racing aluminum alloy mags with 35x12.50x16.5 BGF Mud-Terrains. At 18 psi the tires come right off the wheel if a rock hits the sidewall just right. BFG recommended that I never run them below 26 PSI to keep them seated on the rim. The 16.5 tires are worn out so I'll be replacing tires AND wheels soon with either a 15 or 16 inch size. There are more tires available for the 15 inch wheels but you don't have to grind anything to get 16 inch wheels to fit with the 8-lug axles.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

5. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

I have some stock chevy 16.5 wheels that have a big safety bead but aftermarket wheels do not. I don't know of a single company that makes beadlock wheels in the 16.5 size. I have a set of Tireloc beadlocks and I like them. They are pricey but they offer some advantages over regular beadlock wheels. They are street legal, they can be balanced properly, they can function as a run flat setup in a emergency, they hold the inner as well as the outer bead on the wheel, If you slide sideways and bend the lip of the wheel-no leaks, regular beadlock wheels will leak bad, they make hand mounting extra wide tires easy, they provide better weight transfer because the inner tube "catches" the weight instead of allowing the aired down tire to completely collapse. Now with all that,Tireloc's aren't perfect. If you don't make sure the inside sidewalls of your tires aren't smooth, it will rub a hole in the innertube-this can be prevented by using old innertube as a cushion, if you aren't into mounting your own tires-they are too tricky for the average tire installer. Steve www.tireloc.com

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Titanic, are you sure those Chevy wheels aren't 16's instead of 16.5's? I've never heard of a 16.5 with a safety bead.

Thanks for the tirelock feedback. They look like the perfect solution. If they were maybe $50 per tire I'd be all over 'em. I love the look of my 16.5 rims but rock crawlin' at 26 psi beats the hell out of ya! [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I run factory 16.5" x 6.75" steel rims with my 35" Grabber MT's. I've never had the bare rims next to a 16" or a 15" for comparison, but my rims do look like they have some sort of safety lip. I have run mine as low as 13 PSI or so and haven't lost a bead yet. Then again I have a 12.5" tire on a 6.75" rim so that is bound to help some.

Rene

[​IMG]

8. tRustyK5

Harry, what are you looking to get out of the rims when you sell them? I might be interested.

Rene

[​IMG]

9. clintsk5

clintsk5 1/2 ton status

10. tRustyK5

11. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

WHY DONT MORE COMPANIES MAKE MORE SIZES FOR 16 INCH RIMS!!!!!! aaaaaaaggghh!

SORRY, JUST VENTING.

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

12. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

They are 16.5's. I even use one of those "stock" wheels that have the safety bead as a spare. You should see what a 18.5/44/16.5 groundhawg looks like on a 7" wide wheel.When you can air down between 3-7 psi, your truck will perform like you would not believe. The price for the tirelocs aren't that bad when you consider that they will never wear out,you can remove them when/if you sell your truck.

13. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

I bought a set of Weld Super Singles. 16.5 x 9.75. Pricey! Thought they'd last me a long time. 2 of the
    4 cracked. The first one cracked 2 months out of warranty and Weld would not help. Now I run 2 Welds on one
    side and 2 junkyard aluminum wheels on the other side. 35" BFG ATs pop bead easily when hit
    on the side below 15 PSI. BTW, I think some HUMVEES using the Wrangler MIL tires are 16.5
    and the MIL rims are beadlocked.

SteveB

14. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

........but you have to use the old 37x12.5R16.5 Wrangler RT/II tires. They are aggressive as hell, but they don't use them much any more, are sort of half-@ss phasing them out, and are converting over to the 36X12.5r16.5 Wrangler MT's. Wonder what they're going to do now that they don't make the MT's now? Just my thoughts.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Flowmaster, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's[​IMG]