Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

16.5 rim ?s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big dan, Feb 5, 2006.

1. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ive decided to swap in my 3/4 ton axles soon and i need new tires. i was originally planing on 35s with rims from summit but i kinda like the idea of 37s but can only get them in a 16.5inch rims size. that would work out because i already have the stock rims but im worried about popping a bead. what is the lowest air pressure i could safely run and are there any ways to keep from popping a bead without beadlocks? thanks

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

DONT air down lol.

if you use the search you can find a ton of chatter on this.

with out beadlocks a cheap way to mod your rim is to weld 1/8th rod around the bead seat, this would make it harder to slip the bead off.

I would also sugest readding up on the hummer tires it sounds like you are planing on, make sure they will work for you, they seem to have a lot of draw backs.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i ran 38x12.50x16.5 swampers on 10" wide rims with my old truck . it was 6500 lbs + in weight. i never had a problem at 25 psi in any type of driving.

and lots of choices in 15" and 17" rims and tires. with 15" just need to grind a little bit on frt calipers nothing to bad.

4. big dan

thanks for the replies. i have been searching and have found a lot of informadtion but I still dont know what i should do. im thinking i will probably end up just buying new wheels and 35s. oh and the tires i am looking at are actually from high-tec retreading.

5. big dan

i just read that factory chevy 16.5 rims, which is what i have, have a safety bead. does anyone know if this is true?

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

ahh dont think so. if you have the tire off look for a little lip around the bead area about 1/4 to 1/2 " in from the outer edge.

7. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

I've aired down to ~10psi w/ my 16.5's for a snowbogging trip. It wasn't that much of a concern becuase we had ratchet straps and air if I did like I thought we would. I never did blow a bead though, I was suprised.

Either get steelies and weld in a beadlock, get hummer rims and re-center them, plan on running 20psi+ all the time, or don't get 16.5's.

That being said, I just picked up some Hummer beadlocks so I have some 16.5x12 Aluminum rims for sale :D

Mike

8. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Any vendors that make a decent cheap weld on bead lock??? I have 3 free 38.5 that are on 16.5s so I planned on just getting two new for the rear running the steelies.

9. big dan

ok, Ive finally got 3/4 ton axles and I think im going to use the stock 16.5x6.75 wheels with 35x12.50s. I know that there are several people here that have a similar setup. everyone keeps telling me that it will cause the center to wear out faster then normal and everything I find on here goes both ways. can anybody tell me for sure and how much faster it will wear out then normal?
    thanks

10. big dan

can anybody please help me?
    I want to order tires this weekend and it would be cool if I knew this.
    if nobody can tell me then I will just try it but I'd kinda like to know if anyone could please help me.
    thanks

11. Bushido

Bushido Registered Member

I'm running 35x12.5s and 33x12.5s on 16.5x9.75 rims on two different trucks and never had a problem.I've aired down to 20psi with no problems,in the sand though.---The fact that I just said that is a sure reason to blow all four off the bead this weekend with my luck.:rolleyes: I'm sure the contact patch will be affected if run on 6.75 rims but since you got the rims allready,why not try?

12. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I make weld on beadlocks and cheap is a relative term.

I will also be finishing up a write up on how to do the rod inside the rim in the next few days that makes these 16.5 wheels much more wheelable.

13. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Bad idea to put that wide of a tire on that skinny of a rim with a 45* bead. Just because it will mount up does not make it a good idea . You might want to look at another option.

Tom