Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

16.5 tires

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Heavymetal, Mar 8, 2002.

1. Heavymetal

Heavymetal 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I was hoping to buy some used 16.5 swampers on here, but nobody had any for sale. So it looks like I will have to buy some new ones. I am thinking swamper tsl/sx. My dilema is between the 36x12.5x16.5's and the 35x15.5x16.5's. I like the 36's because they are taller, but I also like the 35's because they are wider and I thought that maybe that would help keep the tires on the rims (16.5x9.75) when aired down. Can anybody give me some advice as to why I should buy one over the other?

Thanks,
    Mike.

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I don't think the size will have much affect on keeping them on the rims when aired down. I would go with the 36's since I assume you are running a 14ff and the taller tires help with ground clearance.

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I would go for the 36's
    unless you run sand alot. thats the only time I would run a wider tire.
    or go with 38.5 14.5 16.5 sx's.LOL so you get a tall wide one,/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

4. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I'm getting some new ones next week but here is some used ones if you want-
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&amp;threadid=37853>http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&amp;threadid=37853</a>
    Hope this helps.

5. Toledo

Toledo 1/2 ton status

That 35x15.50 Sx is one bad ass tire for its size. i would put it against the 35 bogger any day. For the size of tire it has more depth and space between the lugs than anything you can get. It has a good three inch space between the largest and smallest lug. Past the 31 and 38x11 bogger it has more tread for the size of tire than any other made. It is the only SX made with 24/32 depth tread. Man if you havent looked at one they are badass. I have seen some trucks boil some serious gumbo with those things.

6. Heavymetal

I saw those, but they are 38's. Thanks anyhow.

Mike.

7. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I mihgt be interested selling mine to go to a different size, but I'm quite a ways a way. Mail me if you want to mull over the technicalities. They are siped 36x14.5x16.5 TSL Radials.

8. Heavymetal

I would be interested, it would depend on several things. Dominator has these exact same tires for sale within driving distance of me. However I am like 4th in line for them. So other than that: how much $, condition of tires (% tread), How much to ship, and lastly how soon could I get them? I was hoping to get some swampers before next week-end so I would not trash my BFG's. But I am willing to wait for a good deal./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Thanks,
    Mike.

9. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I wish I still have my 35 Boggers. I would gladly put them up against an SX in the deep mud.

How can you keep a straight face. Nothign beats the Boggers in the deep mud.

Ken H.

10. Resurrection_Joe

Ok, I'll answer to each point -

1. How much? - Eh, I got a good deal on em when I bought em from Shawn Spickler (ooh that should be a bonus, they were on Shawns rig !) so I'd just sell em for about half price of new, which is 475, but if you have to pay loads of shipping I'd drop it down a bit.

2. Condition? - Great, I've put maybe 1,000 miles on top of the 3,500 Shawn had on em, or maybe it was 5,000. Either way they are in great condition. As a plus they are siped and ride like the gods of tire. Grip great on ice and snow and rain. A minus is, when Shawn had em, he didnt trim his fenders enough and put some slight gashes down the tread near the side, I believe he has pictures or I could take some for you. Oh yeah, I'd say, because of the siping, they have between 85% - 90% tread left.

3. Shipping? - I have no idea. I dont think it'd be rediculous, but I'm not sure, I'm looking into it for you. I think I could just take the tires right down to UPS or Fed Ex and theyd put a sticker on em and ship em. That's how my springs came i the mail.

4. Soon as it's a definate sale and we can figure out how to ship. I have no idea about shipping which is the problem. I'll try as hard as possible to get em to you ASAP if you want em, but I cant make any promises, and am sorry for that.

Also, if you are interested in getting some nice wheels for your tires, I'll cut you a great deal on some AE 589 8 lug 16.5 x 9.75's. I'll sperate though. They are nice wheels, and I do mean a DEAL. Heh heh. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Well anyway thanks for the interest. Any questions reply or email me, I think my email is in my profile.

11. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    Do you already have the rims? If not I'd really lean towards 16" or 15" rims.The 16.5's don't have a safety bead on them to safey air down.With the 16" rims you would have to(maybe) grind a little off the frt. calipers,with the 15's you have to grind more.And YES they do make 15 and 16" rims that are 8 lugs.

12. Resurrection_Joe

BLUESMAN ! - Hey I've been idly looking for you, real sorry for not getting back to you on that gas tank thing, but I think I did tell you to go and sell it if I didnt get back to you, well regardless I am really sorry.

Yes he's right 16.5 have no real bead retention, which is why I want to sell em. DOnt get me wrong they are great tires and will off road great, but if your going at it hard enough to need to air down, I wouldnt recommend them, but if your not hardcore you could get by pretty good I think. ALL 16" rims that are 8 lugs clear FINE, there is no issue with them at all. I actually have a set of 8 lug 16x8's I'm going to por 15 and mount some skinny bias TSL's on and sell the 255/85/R16 Rasial RVT's that are on there (by the way these are hardly worn and very nice too. If the plain old 16" rim wont hold my tires on, I'll buy the weld on beadlocks from rockstomper.

Anyway, thanks and sorry to BLUESMAN again.

13. Resurrection_Joe

Oh BTW - Heavymetal, someone else expressed intrest in these, whatever that means to you, I though I should let you know. It's just If I had a buyer for the set of tires/wheels it'd be better, also, you wouldnt need to find a way to ship em the obscene distance you need to, but if you still want em I'll sure try my hardest to make you satisfied. Thanks again.

14. Heavymetal

Thanks for the offer, but I think I am going to bite the bullet and buy some new 35's. I hope your local offer works out.

Thanks again,
    Mike.

15. Resurrection_Joe

Hey thats fine man! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I hope someone else wants em. In fact I never though of selling em untill today, but now I really want to. What 35 tire are you planning on? Anyway thanks!

16. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Resurrection_Joe, Hey no big deal on the tank!I did'nt read that you were selling rims(sorry).See ya.Mike

17. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Resurrection_Joe, Hey no big deal on the tank!I did'nt read that you were selling rims(sorry).See ya.Mike

18. Resurrection_Joe

Cool! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Uh, I'd still like it if you have it.................. hehehehehe

19. Heavymetal

Probably the 35x15.5x16.5's

Mike.