Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

16.5 vs 15's.......pros/cons from users.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Brian 89KBlazer, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

16.5 vs 15\'s.......pros/cons from users.

Currently have 37x12.5R16 SSR's under the Blazer with 0 miles on them! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif That's right; it's still under construction but they already look too small! /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

I'll keep them for my on-road/off-road tires but want to get a set of 42x15 TSL's for dedicated off-road tires. The question is; should I get 15" wheels or 16.5" wheels?
    The down side to the 16.5's is the bead when airing down. I know some companies make 16.5" beadlocks but they're $$$! The PLUS side is that they'll go on over the D60 calipers with no problems!

The 15's can be had MUCH cheaper but the down side to them is running big offset and/or grinding the calipers.

Any recommendations on which way to go?? How easily do the 16.5's lose their bead? All the time? Occasionally?

Thanks

2. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Re: 16.5 vs 15\'s.......pros/cons from users.

This is simple. Grind the calipers and get the 15's. I dont understand why you wouldn't. Tons of people are doing it and they dont have caliper problems on their rigs.

That said, I have 16's on my rig too and 38's are big enough for me.

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Get the 15's and grind the calipers. This is what I did and I do not have any trouble. Just grind them when there are fresh brake pads on them or you will have to grind them more when you replace your pads. I learned this the hard way.The rears will bolt right on. I run 8 to 10 pounds and have not hade a problem loosing beads. I have seen 16.5's blow off at 18 pounds under hard abuse.

4. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

I have been down this same road, and I say don't grind the calipers. I had 16's with 38 TSL's just because I wanted to run wheels that fit without grinding. Yes, I want to run 40's or bigger, but I hate to grind on the calipers or run a funky backspacing to get 15's to work. The biggest advantage of 15's is the safety bead, so if that's the case, get a set of beadlocks for 16.5 wheels. Trail Ready's are a good wheel, I just bought a set of them a few weeks ago. Yes, they don't have an inner safety bead, but most of the time the outer bead goes first anyway. And if it's going to be a trail only tire, why not run beadlocks. Maybe I'm getting too lazy, but I'd rather just bolt on the wheels/tires and be done with it with no "grinding to fit." Yeah, they are a little more than most other beadlocks, but you get what you pay for, and the customer service has been excellent.

I believe Storm Trooper has a set of 16.5 Trail Ready's and he said he has had no problems with them so far.

Just my .02

BIGJ

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

lazy lazy

btw, hope you still have a set of 38's in the corner. I'm working on transportation now.

6. BIGJ

38's?? What 38's?!? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Yeah, they're collecting dust as we speak. Those brand new lugs are begging to be grooved with my new grooving iron /forums/images/icons/wink.gif . Give me a hollar when you want to get em'.

And yeah, I'm getting lazy with the grinding on the calipers. Besides, who really wants shave off all that material everytime they buy new calipers.

BIGJ

7. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

Did 16's get lost in the shuffle there? Or is there some downside to running 16's that I don't know about. They shouldn't require any grinding for D60, should they? Are there tire limitations associated? Can somebody help a brutha understand?

8. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Just to let you know, they don't make 42"s in 16" wheels.

Personally, I would go with Beadlock 16.5"s, since they're trail only tires...or get some wheels and save some money and put the Tirelok system on....I know many who have done the grinding thing with no ill effects, but like BigJ, I'm super lazy as well, so I went with the 16.5"s and beadlocks....
    Boss

9. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

In my talks with tire people and wheels, I've been told the 16.5 is a fad that will not be around and to not waste my time with them. Not sure how valid it was, but, I've been going this shop for years and they seem to know their stuff. Sure they sell the 16.5s like everyone else, they just told me not to invest in the wheels if I hadn't already.

Marty---

10. ChadH82

ChadH82 1/2 ton status

I got 16.5 beadlocks from Rockstomper for a lot cheaper than Trail Ready. They are probably not quite as nice but they still do the same thing. You can generally run more backspacing with 16.5's because you don't have to grind anything. This will let you get through some tighter spots on trails. Here's my 16.5 beadlocks w/ 39.5s.
    http://members.aol.com/fileholder03/blaz046.jpg

11. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Chad?

What kind of shackle setup is that on the rear?

I would go beadlock for sure on a trail only tire. Do it right and keep the grinder in the tool box. My .o2

12. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

That looks like a stock hanger with a hole cut in the bottom to do a shackle flip to me.

13. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

well go ahead and groove the center lugs if you get tired of watching oprah and eating bon bons all the time./forums/images/icons/laugh.gif/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Something like these would be nice:
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/ubb/uploads/GroovedJimmy.jpg

haha. where did you buy your groover and what's one of those set a guy back?

My dad's trip got postponed but he told me sometime in the next 3 weeks for sure. I'll give you a few days notice. I'd come get them, but then I'd miss an exciting weekend of mowing the lawn or something and we wouldn't want that.

14. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

laketex i tried to see the pics of those tires and i cant get in...just a heads up

Later

15. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

thanks...here's the whole thread.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&amp;threadid=6132&amp;highlight=grooving+and+pics>http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&amp;threadid=6132&amp;highlight=grooving+and+pics</a>

The ones I like are the ones on Jimmy's cruiser or the scorpion. Just so you know /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

16. Brian 89KBlazer

Thanks for the feedback guys! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I guess I'd fall into the "lazy" category too when it comes to grinding. Don't want the hassle of grinding calipers &amp; I'm not cracked up about the much wider stance that would come with larger offsets. Guess it'll come down to which I'm less bothered by; the fitment issues of the 15's or the cost of the beadlocked 16.5's. As for a fad; Marty, 16.5's have been around forever so while they're not a fad; I guess we can live in hope that they'll sooner, rather than later, be replaced by 16's! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif
    Bobsurf, like Boss said; the problem now with 16's is the limited size of tires available. I want MINIMUM 40" tires &amp; there's nothing out there yet in that size for 16" rims. You may have noted that I already have 37x12.5R16. Just want to go bigger now. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Chad; thanks for the pics &amp; the note on Scott. I saw them on his site &amp; forgot about him.

I guess I'm leaning toward bead-locked 16.5's now but still have a while to ponder.

Thanks again for the discussion! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

17. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

get 20"rims and run Michelins

18. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

So I take it that 20" (dubs) rims have a safety bead? Could you run those new fancy crome things that people put on their Navagators w/ like 22" tires?

19. Brian 89KBlazer

Actually mj; that's not off the list of options yet! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

If I'm going to pay to have a set of 15" rims made; why not pay to have a set of 20's made to open up all the bigger Michelin Radials as options!! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

20. BIGJ

Only problem with the 20's is that they are $425 a wheel for beadlocks /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif . One of my friends is considering this option, only because you can get a 46" Michelin for $150 a piece from usa6x6.com. That's a whole lot cheaper than a 44 swamper. But those wheels ain't cheap.

BIGJ