Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

16.5 wheel question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by doonjumper, Mar 24, 2001.

1. doonjumper

doonjumper 1/2 ton status

I was reading what some of you had to say to the guy with the 44" boggers and 15" wheels. What is better keeping the 16.5 rim with D60 and 14 bolt or going to a 15" or 16" and why? and what spacing would you recommend for my rig. I already ordered a set of Weld wheels (from 4wheels parts) 16.5x12 S/S and I am going to buy a set of 35x14.50x16.5. I hope they got the back spacing correct, as they did not ask me how much I wanted. I totally forgot to ask them!

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Well, tire selection options are much better for 15s with many more sizes to choose from and easier to find. 15s are also a bit cheaper. The 16.5 has no bead lock so airing down can be a problem. Several people have said that you can run 15" on 8 lugs with a little caliper grinding to clear but it is not a bolt on in most cases. If I remember right, 3.5" backspacing on the 15s was recommended and the Stockton wheels were recommended. I think I'm going to go with the 15" but if I run across a set of 16s priced right I won't hesitate. For 16.5s, they would have to be an *AMAZING* deal to take my money. Then again, I’m building specifically for rock crawling so I want the option to go with very low pressure...

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Oh, and the larger wheels tend to feel more stable with large tires when on the road since there is less sidewall to flex...

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

4. bigerik

bigerik 1/2 ton status

I ordered my tires/wheels from 4WheelParts. They didn't ask about backspacing, but I had told them I had a Dana 60/14FF and it worked out great! They were 16.5X12 Weld Outbacks. Never had a problem! I guess the guy either looked it up or got lucky.

5. doonjumper

doonjumper 1/2 ton status

Hopefully everything will work out. Thanks for the info. This is by far the best site I have seen where anyone from a beginer to an old pro can ask and receive lots of input when trying to figure something out!
    [​IMG]

6. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

Everyone says 16.5 wheels do not have a safety bead. This is true for many after market wheels, but mid-70's chevy's that came stock with 16.5 wheels had a pretty good safety bead and I use one for my spare.You ought to try and get a 44" tire off a 7" stock rim- I can air down all I want.