Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

16.5 wheels?? *PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Aug 20, 2005.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

If I'm not mistaken, I've seen a few of you :doah: :haha: to 16.5 wheels.. Is there something I'm missing, do they not hold a bead well or something? fill me in, do I need to avoid them?
    I'm not talkin about stock wheels, just askin in general.

SEE MY LAST POST, I'VE got another ??

Last edited: Aug 21, 2005
  2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

16.5 wheels don't have safety beads on em to help hold the tire on. theres no need to avoid them, I have beadlocks on mine from DIY4X so it'll hold low PSI.

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I have 16.5's and never had any problems losing a bead, I never air down to less than 25 PSI though.

4. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

I don't see the point of making a rim and tire that are a half inch bigger that a vast majority of tires already out there. What is the point? WHAT IS THE POINT? Seriously. :D :confused:

5. 90BCk5

90BCk5 1/2 ton status

dunno what the point is but my hummer beadlocks are 16.5 and im not complaining ;)

6. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

what was the point

in changing .5 inch as i believe the 16.5's came out first some1 correct me if i'm wrong..not sure because i have a 52 power wagon with factory 16's but i think even b4 that way back in the day 16.5 debuted 1st

7. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

16.5 = bad news bears, unless they are beadlocks. Nuff said.

8. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

16.5's tend to have a higher load rating. they are intended for towing and hauling. they were addapted into the alrge tire industry and have been used since. 17's are now the stock size on the big 3 with options of 18's on the ford. 16.5's have been out of the game for a while as far as i know. industrial rims also tend to be half sizes. you can get 16.5's, 17,5's (rare) 19.5's and 22.5's. 19.5's are now being made with a 8 on 6.5 and 8 on 170mm bolt pattern to bolt directly to LIGHT truck apps. then TEND to have a 3500lbs loar rating though. some of the newer ones are a bit higher. you can get 20's with a 3800lbs load rating though.. so yeah...

anyway, thats a lil bit of info on rims.

oh, and the 16.5's do not have a safety bead. the tires that are normaly for them are around 31 inches and are 10 ply sidewalls. not much flexing going on along with a 80ish PSI max.
    Grant

9. 78Suburban

Well, how would this affect mud boggin? is it more of a concern for rockcrawlers?

Change of topic, I may have a real good line on some 44" hawgs on 16.5 wheels.... So, I was wondering (I already did some searching, but) , how low of a lift could I clear these with? I mean, is it even in the realm of posibility that I could keep my stock driveshafts (its a really long rear driveshaft, and I could put a 1" spacer up front maybe).. I mean, could I go with something like 6" + 3" body+ sawzall??? Could stock steering (plus cheezy suspension kit corrections) ever sucessfully turn these tires?

Even if these are cheap, am I just setting myself up for disaster by trying to make them work on my rig, ( I don't want this to be an endless $$ pit). Could the front 10 bolt open ever hold up to some lite poserwheeling and muddin with these tires?

For the price, I'm really tempeted to buy these, but I dont want to get in over my head.. Someone give me some guidance...

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

16.5s are fine if you want to run beadlocks... I wouldn't get them under any other circumstances.

j

11. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

let us know

i might want them if you dont get them just let me no...if its not a family thing going on

12. 78Suburban

ttt
    read my previous post, I had decided against big tires, but these 44's are SO dirt cheap. are 44's a poor man's worst enemy as far as running them sucessfully on a truck?

13. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

SH*T better sell you truck and never think about off roading!!!! OTHER WIZE LOTS OF COIN:haha::haha::haha:

nah it doesent have to be that bad, if you do it with a bit of luck (in finding parts) and build it so it dont brake

get the 16.5 wheels if there so cheap and watch your air carfully, find out how low you can go befor you risk loseing the bead, and dont go that far.

i remember when i was thinking about 16.5s, someone mentioned they could go to 10 psi befor they had any problems, so you and your type of wheeling might be fine.

hey cheap parts rule, grab them when you can

14. 78Suburban

I figure that if I make enough initial savings on just the tires, then maybe it wouldn't be impossible for me and my budget....

How much lift am I looking at (don't these hawgs actually run 42's?)
    Is there any prayer for a 10 bolt front to hold up to lite wheelin, or do I have to bend over and try to find a D60?
    Will stock steering work with these, or do I have to have hydro assist, or full hydro............. remember yall, all I want to do is mud, no rocks. If I do trails, they will be mild.

15. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

lift is up to you i know a guy with a burb running 40 on 4" suspention.

then some guys like fenders and get 15" of lift for 35s its your call

the 10 bolts could hold up but not for long.

if you go easy on them not to much skiny peddel you could be ok till you find a deal on a d60.

stick with the 10 bolt get some back up shafts from the wreckers and hopeto make it home.

you could spend 4000 on a awsome 60, or grab one from someone who doesent know what it is for a few hundread, and rebuild it

16. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

the bigger tires will mean a lot more stress on everything, differentials, axels, u joints motor... etc etc. not easy to maintain wheeling on a budget imho. but u may get lucky if you only do "light" wheeling. but then again it could cause problems with street driving. :dunno: thats why i like 31's :D dont have to worry about the big tire blues. :waytogo:

17. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

can someone post some pics of the "safety bead" on some 15" rims and the missing safety bead on some 16.5" rims? i just got some 15" steelies from summit and was wondering what the safety bead really looks like...

18. 78Suburban

I really, really wish I had the cajonies to run these awsome tires. I can hardly imagine how cool my burb would look on them..... But I don't think that I will have the budget within the next year or two to do it right.... I really don't want something that I am constanly scared to mash the gas on... I suppose I will have to go with some smaller meats.
    MAN I WISH I HAD THE BUDGET TO RUN THESE TIRES... I guess I won't even bid though... :(
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7993495754

19. 78Suburban

never mind yall, this whole post was a waste of space (except for the fact that yall enlightened me about crappy 16.5's)... I was thinking that this would have been such a great deal because it was at $300.... in the last few minutes the bidding escalated quickly.

Guess its back to the 33's bandwagon for me..
    I'm so indescisive... :screwy:

20. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

All of my mud tires are 16.5's, I've never had any problems in the mud or on the street.