Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

16.5inch rim selection?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chulisohombre, Nov 25, 2002.

1. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

does anyone know of a 16.5x8 rim that has a 90 degree bead that anyone sells?i called some of the cheaper wheel companies such as american racing and a couple of off brands and also rock crawler.everyone sais the same thing.almost all rim companies make the 16.5 inch rim with a 45 degree bead on it.has anyone had trouble with losing a bead on these rims?i know airing down past 20 pounds is probably the lowest i can go without trouble but can anyone give me any insight? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

All 16.5 rims are made with the 45 degree lip since all 16.5 tires have a 45 degree bead. There is no way to get around it, sorry.

4. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

SWEEEET! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

so is there any problems with airing down and possibly losing the bead on the tire.with a 15 inch rim i dont air down past 20 anyway so would i get away with 20 psi with a 16.5 rim?

6. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

I run 10-12lbs on the sand dunes with my 16.5 tires. Haven't lost a tire, yet, at these pressures.

7. Mobile_Mechanic

Mobile_Mechanic Registered Member

On my one ton full size pickup I run my tires at about 15 PSI and haven't lost a bead yet. Except when I bent the inside bead on a rock at Paragon this year /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. But not because of air pressure.

8. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

Wow, you guys are real lucky. Between myself and my buddy who has a 2001 Cummins HO, we've blew at least three beads on 16.5 wheels last summer. That was with running at 25 psi at the beach. We are a couple of throttle jockeys, but still. I swapped my 16's on and will never buy another set of 16.5's unless I splurge and go for beadlocks.