Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

16.5's and screws

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mr.Chevy4x4, Feb 6, 2002.

1. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

16.5\'s and screws

Anyone done it?

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Re: 16.5\'s and screws

Never done it, but if it were a drag racing slick I'm pretty sure you'd use 8 screws per side (16 per total wheel). I thought about doing it on my 15" wheels - just too lazy. Where are you at in Alabama?

80 K10 w/ 468 and 1 ton stuff
    You don't scare me, I got chunks of guy's like you in my stool!
    www.nvrenuf.fws1.com

3. Mr.Chevy4x4

I am just above Montgomery in a little town named Wetumpka. I am thinking about doing this to prevent rolling the tire off.

Thanks

'85 K5 : 330 HP-350/350/205/FF14/D60/36 inch TSL's

4. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

In dragracing this is not done to keep the bead on the rim or from losing air, it is to keep the tire from spinning on the rim for traction. I think it is not a common use among fourwheelers because the bead usually blows from a side wall impact and/or too little air pressure. Your bead with a screw through it is going to get continuously chewed upon by the screws as you wheel.
    Drag tires don't last and aren't used for but a couple miles on most cars that run screws.
    It will hold the tire on the rim, but the wear and tear to the tire is probably why its not done. If you don't keep your tires balance, you may have to spin your tire on the rim to get a better balance and set the screws into different parts of the bead. You may chew up the bead before the tread is worn out.

Rob

<font color=orange>Bleedin' Chevy Orange</font color=orange>

5. Mr.Chevy4x4

I have a good friend that is an EB fan and owner. He went on a EB run a Tellico recently and he said that several guys were running D60's with 16.5's and had screws in the beads to keep the tires on at low pressure. I know people do it, but I want to talk to someone who has. The screws shouldn't "eat up" the beads because they shouldn't be moving on the wheel. Thanks for your input.

6. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

I would like to talk to someone who has done this also.I dont think I would do it but If someone has had good experience with this ...well maybe

7. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

I've got a hot roddin mag with an article in it about this. Never tried it though. I know the biggest thing is to make sure that the holes are Exactly right because it will throw the tire out of balance. I will look for the mag and try to scan it for you.

MY DRINKING TEAM HAS A FOUR WHEELING PROBLEM![​IMG]

8. Mr.Chevy4x4

That would be great! Thanks!

9. ChadH82

ChadH82 1/2 ton status

Can someone explain how you do this? Do you guys have your wheels already and just want to put screws in them? If you don't have the wheels yet you could just get 16.5 beadlocks.

Chad
    '73 Blazer,383,400,Atlas II,D60/14 Bolt,traclok/detroit,39.5 Swamps

10. Mr.Chevy4x4

I can't run bead locks because I occasionally drive the truck on the street, and trust me the cops around here know what they are and that they are illegal. Yes, I alreay have some wheels that I don't have a problem with drilling holes in if someone can convince me that this will help.

11. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

is it a money thing? If not, why not go with a set of rockstomper beadlock rings?

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&amp;threadid=23255&amp;highlight=screws
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&amp;threadid=6094&amp;highlight=screws

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

12. ChadH82

ChadH82 1/2 ton status

I just ordered my rockstomper beadlocks[​IMG] Wahoo...

Chad
    '73 Blazer,383,400,Atlas II,D60/14 Bolt,traclok/detroit,39.5 Swamps <a target="_blank" href=http://members.aol.com/fileholder2meg/projblazer.html>Clicky</a>

13. Mr.Chevy4x4

It isn't a money thing, it is a legality thing. I don't care what anyone tells you, a true bead lock is not street legal. The cops and state troopers around here are good ole country boys that own 4 wheel drives and they know this. They will write you up in a heart beat for running them on the street. My truck isn't a daily driver but it isn't a trailer queen either.

14. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Well actually....

Have you consulted your law books lately?

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&amp;threadid=29140&amp;highlight=beadlocks+and+legal>http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&amp;threadid=29140&amp;highlight=beadlocks+and+legal</a>

But since you "dont care what anybody tells you" perhaps that info will be useless to you. Btw, why did you ask if you don't care?

[​IMG]

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

15. Mr.Chevy4x4

Well wise guy, go back and show me where I asked about bead locks! And if you know the laws so well, why don't you come and talk with the state trooper that lives down the road from me. I didn't post this to start flames, I was trying to find usefull information on running screws not bead locks.

By the way, do you believe everything you read on Pirate4x4? If so I have some land to sell you.

[​IMG]

16. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Hey just to fan the flames some more: Police officers (including state tropers) are NOT the absolute authority on all automotive laws. Every police officer goes through a state operated school ("police academy") were they learn from their little Mao Tse Tung book. The "book" explains most statutes in plain text so the officer can do his/her job. It does NOT explain ever state statute or the complete motor vehicle code, which for most states would fill a small room with tombs of legalise.

I've had officers try to cite me for not having my vehicles registered in my current state, only to watch them back-pedal when I show them a letter from the state DMV quoting a little known loophole for Servicemembers on active duty.

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

About the beadlock thing being illegal....

How do they know if you have true beadlocks or those new fake ones?

And, how are screwed tires any different than beadlocks?

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

18. Mr.Chevy4x4

It is easy to tell the difference between a real bead lock and a fake one when you get up close and look. The difference between the bead locks and screws is that the screws aren't holding the tire on the rim going down the highway, but the bolts on the bead lock are the only thing holding the tire on the rim.
    As far as the law goes, Trooper Driggers told me that he would give me a ticket if he caught me running bead locks on "his" roads. I really don't feel like going through the hassle of going to court to see if a judge would throw it out or not. It just isn't worth the hassle.

19. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

Beadscrews will break during offroad trips. I tried them and they worked for a while until I slid sideways and hit a rock-three srews heads broke off and let all the air out and I couldn't get the broke pieces out (on the trail) to air back up. Major waste of time and you ruin your wheels,(anyone need a set?). If you need 16.5 beadlocks and you want them to be street legal in all 50 states-buy you a set of TireLoc beadlocks, they are pricey but not that much more than regular beadlock wheels. Cheaper option is to find you a set of "stock" mid-70's chevy wheels that came with a safety bead from the factory for the 16.5 wheels. These stock wheels are skinny but I bet you won't bust a bead.

20. Re: 16.5\'s and screws

so the stock ones had an inner safty bead??? i have two sets in my back yard. maybe i'll try em out.

<font color=blue> Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

</font color=blue>