Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

16 gal plug and play TBI tank for 50 bucks

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by CK5, Jul 7, 2004.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

In my quest for a 15-20 gal fuel cell that I could use my TBI setup with I came accross a 16 gal factory GM tank that is just the right size 42-7/8 x 14-1/8, I believe it is a side saddle for a 1987 GM truck, just happens to be the same size as my 32 gal but 1/2 as deep. I might use this and mount it in a alum tool box or custom sheet metal box to cover it up. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

http://www.chevyautobodypartstore.com/cgi-bin/auto-body-parts/CHBLAZERC6701858787.html

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I just hauled one of those to scrap about a month ago. That's where my TBI pickup/sending unit came from.

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I think you need to keep looking for a cube type tank. I've run out of fuel with 6-7 gal left in my 22 gal cell because I was off camber and uncovered the pickup. I want a tall square tank with a sump in it, or as close to that as I can get. I guess the ideal shape would be a beer keg with the pickup in the bottom. Hmmm, beeeer.

With the truck type tank, I could picture the remaining 1/3rd tank running to one side and not being available for the pump.

4. CK5

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

find someone that can weld aluminum and have them make a custom one? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

j

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I'm really digging SolidWorks... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Check this out. It's a digital version of a tank sketch I made for my truggy about a year ago as part of my slow moving plan to link the back (which requires a custom tank). No dimensions, but that will depend on what you need. Notice the first pic is the top view and shows the 4 baffles that end right over the center hole in the bottom. This will cause fuel to drain through the hole and into the bottom tank with every change in orientation. The hole could also be offset, no need to be in the center if it does not work for you there, but I think that is the best place for ideal fuel control. The second pic is of the bottom showing the walls of the integrated secondary feed tank. Even if there is not enough fuel to cover the hole at a given angle, this tank should stay full as long you don't set in one place for a long time. The fuel tank pickup extends through the hole and into the bottom tank, and the fuel return also points down into the hole to keep the lower tank full on recirc systems. The return should not actually enter the hole though since you would not want to always recirculate the returning hot fuel.

Seems ideal to me...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

That is the same tank Jeff used for his truck (mounted crossways behind the cab) and seems to work fine. Why don't you go for a 25 gallon Blazer tank (what I have) used in the 87 Blazers only (has the little sump in the bottom for fuel injection). Same depth as a pickup and S-10 tank and hangs down much less. I want to move mine up in the frame to have even more clearance. BTW, I do not need my TBI pump and sender. The Caprice assembly seems to be the right length (or depth) for the LT1.

8. CK5

[ QUOTE ]
    find someone that can weld aluminum and have them make a custom one? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

j

[/ QUOTE ]
    Sure, it's only money I don't have, in fact while I'm at it why don't I just order up a $35,000. turn key buggy. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I think you need to keep looking for a cube type tank. I've run out of fuel with 6-7 gal left in my 22 gal cell because I was off camber and uncovered the pickup. I want a tall square tank with a sump in it, or as close to that as I can get. I guess the ideal shape would be a beer keg with the pickup in the bottom. Hmmm, beeeer.

With the truck type tank, I could picture the remaining 1/3rd tank running to one side and not being available for the pump.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to HiJack -

Stephen, Is yours the RCI Circle Track tank? I have one of these and plan to do some modifications to it to help fuel starvation. How do you currently have your pickup mounted? Just curious.

Steve, have you considered a plastic fuel cell from Summit. You probably don't need a sending unit anymore - just carry a good stick! You can drill and install a roll over valve, then use the vent valve for your return line. I plan to make the return line run to the bottom inside the tank to keep from "bubbling" the fuel.

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Sure, it's only money I don't have, in fact while I'm at it why don't I just order up a $35,000. turn key buggy. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, you run ck5, you dont need money! just bribe a ck5 member who is hella good at welding AL with membership time and CK5 gear! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

11. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

It's either summit or RCI, maybe even Jazz, i don't remember, but they're all very similar if not actually the same. I drilled a hole in the side of the cell, near the front and at the very bottom (that will actually tell you where the hole is is you just follow along).
    I used an AN bulkhead fitting to penetrate the cell and the inside is a hose running to the rear center of the cell, the outside runs to the filter and pump that are mounted at the level of the cell's bottom or below. The pump always has fuel without having to pull it. the external pumps seem to like that mounting method since I've never had a failure.

I actually tapped the inside of the -8 vent and pickup fittings for NPT and ran the vent hose on the tipover valve and the fuel return goes in the old pickup hole. it just drops into the tank but it's full of foam so i don't think I get any aeration of the fuel by the time it sloshes around in that stuff.

I need a baffle of some sort for it for the above stated reasons.