Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

16 hours to change the oil?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Oct 9, 2005.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I just spent about 16 hours trying to change the oil in the new trail rig

First for an update...Got the Chevy home last weekend and tried to get it running Saturday. Shot some starting fluid in the carb and hooked up the battery pack surprisingly it fired right off and purred like a kitten with no knocks or noises. Oil pressure reading at 50psi high idle. Took it down to low idle and let it warm up for only a few minutes. It started smoking a bit so I shut 'er down. Checked the oil and it was in bad shape. I believe there was gas in the oil since the oil was very thin and smelled like gas a bit.

Got it drained and started on the oil filter. Wow, that sucker was on tight. Couldn't get it off by hand so I got out the wrench. Wrench wouldn't budge it. Punched a screw driver through it and tried to take it off that way. Well as I started to crank on it the canister tore. I tried another type of filter wrench which didn't work. I ended up squashing the canister like a pop can and ripped it off clean from the steel top which is still in the block.

Today I bought an air chisel and tried to break it away in pieces which did not work. I tried a cold chisel that did not work. I am afraid I am going to damage the block and this thing runs like a champ. What can I do to get this damn thing out?!?! ANYONE?!?!?

(was that the longest post you ever read about some chode changing his oil?)

2. 3rdshiftdesign

3rdshiftdesign 1/2 ton status

i've had them like that and just used a long screw driver and hammer...

may sound dumb, but did you try turning it the other way....?

3. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Yeah tighten it a little then try and loosen it again. SOunds like a real PITA. Pics??!?

4. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

I've been through the EXACT thing....looked like it at exploded once off and all the pieces lay on the ground....un#$%^&believable.
    I ended up getting to turn buy getting a big long screwdriver and hitting it with a big hammer...i hit it at an angle(near where it screws in) and FINALLY, after wrenches, screwdrivers, chisels, pliers, metal shears etc, it turned just a bit. I kept hitting it and it gave. NEVER will i tighten one too tight again..NEVER.

5. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I can get pics. I had the camera but I ended up with oily hands and didnt want to ruine the digital too. I did try to tighten it a bit but this thing will not move at all. I can only imagine the gasket melted to the block? It dosent help that the motor is about 4 feet off the ground.

I used the "V" shaped attachment with the air chisel and stuck the corner of it in one of the holes around the main fitting thinking I might get some leverage that way. It cut through to the next hole. So I stuck a pry bar in the cut I just formed and tried to pry it away a little but. Nothing. :mad: :mad: :mad:

6. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Ok dont do this till you have other input, but what if you continued cutting around, through all those holes, detaching the outer ring, with gasket from the center threaded portion? Then hammer a putty knife under the gasket, and pry the outer ring off, the threaded portion should then be able to be threaded out with a pair of pliers.

7. wildbilzrydn

wildbilzrydn 1/2 ton status

Can you put pins or something in the filter holes on either side of the inlet and stick a bar between the pins and twist? Sometimes you have to work both sides at once. Maybe not pins but a rod bent in a "U" shape to do so might be better.

8. wildbilzrydn

wildbilzrydn 1/2 ton status

Dosent that oil fitting bolt on with the filter covering up the bolts? Maybe if you tried what K20 said, you could get at the bolts.

9. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I tried to "connect the dots" with the chisel but I can only get at 2 holes. The frame and engine is in the way of the chisel gun. Maybe I could use a hole saw and try to access the bolts that hold the filter adapter thing in place?

Oh yeah...that's a disaster waiting to happen :doah:

10. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

I don't know if you can get to the threads in the center but a big easy out. On that metal i would sugest a four point one. Usually it is the gasket that is siezed up not wanting to let it back out. So if you pry around the edges up a little it might turn.

11. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

There is not filter adapter. The mount is cast to the block. But.....I have noticed that the threaded center part of it does apear to be have a hex portion to it. As fat as that comming out is beyound me.

12. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

oil fitler wars..

I've had a few stubborn SOB filters doing oil changes at the shop..been there as far as tearing the can off one with a screwdriver!...one I ended up air chiseling off..one I could not budge with the air chisel,peices were breaking off and I was afraid I'd muck up the gasket surface on the block..I finally got it off using an old "U" bolt in the holes in the plate the gasket seals on..and a long bar thru it for torque!..

My friend at his shop has had a few battles with oil filters too--but he just lit his torch,and heated the pee out of the base until the rubber gasket burned off,while he had me stand ready with the garden hose in case the fire got out of hand--it came RIGHT off after that with little effort! :doah: ..When all else fails,use the torch,I always say!.. :D ..you can weld a nut to whats left of the filter base too,if you have a welder hady..then use a wrench on the nut--doesn't need to be in the center either..

I think the rubber swells up and locks the filter in place,plus whoever put the filter ON probably used the strap wrench and over tightened it..I like mine on the tight side,I took off a few that were so loose I'm suprised they didn't fall off! :doah: but I try not to go overboard tightening them either.. :crazy: