Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

16" lift

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ratch, Jul 29, 2000.

1. ratch

ratch Registered Member

16\" lift

Hey everyone, this is my first post, but I've been to this site quite a bit. I must say it's an excellent site!

I'm in the process of getting an '80 K5 with a 6" body lift and a 10" susp. lift. I might remove the body lift.
    The truck needs major restoration work. The only suspension parts bolted in are the diffs (3/4 ton 14 bolt), no brake hoses, shocks, steering, etc. The seller has all the parts to finish it, except the drive shafts. So, here's my question: With that much lift, how does one make the driveshafts fit, with out chewing up u-joints once a week? Is it possible to tilt the engine/tranny down at the rear, and get a 2 piece CV front shaft? Can I just get it to work as is by lengthening the shafts (I don't even own the truck yet, so I haven't tried anything)? Also, does anyone know if there are driveshafts available that will fit, maybe from a big brother (Suburban)? Trans is a TH350, and I assume TC is a NP205.

Thanks for any advice!

'88 K5 widower, '86 S10's husband, Cheating with '80 K5-16" lift!

2. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Re: 16\" lift

Don't use the 6 inch body lift if you are ever going to drive this truck on the street. It is illegal (i think) to have a truck with over 3 inches of body lift. It also might break. But if this is a mud only truck then you can do it.
    I have never heard of tilting the engine and tranny. You can lower the transfer case a few inches and that will help. There are some companies that make driveshafts for lifted trucks but i can't remember any of theire names. I am sure some one else will know them. I am guessing you are going to run 44s on the blazer. The axles might be too weak if you are going to be doing hard core mudin'. When you lift thas much as you are going to you are going to have to replace or correct every steering componet.

[​IMG]Oh yeah, the suburban is more like the father of the blazer cause it first appeared in 1935[​IMG]

<font color=red>CHECK OUT MY SITE</font color=red>
    http://blazer-jimmy.coloradok5.com

3. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

I agree, get rid of the body lift. You can lower the transfer case(thereby tilting the engine and trans) and it should help with the angles a bit. Don't just assume the case is a 205, check it out first. As far as driveshafts go, just take it to a good driveline shop and they'll be able to figure out what will work best. I hope you're getting a great deal on this one, as it sounds like you're in for a lot of work! What size tires are you going for? And have you thought of going for a milder lift?

4. stephan van leir

stephan van leir 1/2 ton status

Sounds like they are selling the truck for a good reason. I`d bet that the rig is a nightmare to run on or off road. Chevy frames flex way to much for big body lifts. I have seen 3" kits shear the body bolts (rear most mount) on rocky trails. Steve Watson from Off Road Design recomends nothing over 2" for chevy frames due to there channel style frames. That also includes (GULP) Fords with channel frames.
    I`d have to say that the truck is not a keeper, and that you should pass it by for a rig that is running. That way you can do what YOU want with out dealing with other peoples
    poor ideas and mistakes.
    The Suburban is the Granddaddy of all SUV`s and is invincable on the big boy market. Hey Ford, forget about your Explosion, I mean Excursion. It will never match, let alone better the Suburban! It`s just too much, too big, and too late!

5. ratch

ratch Registered Member

Thanks for the replies!

The body lift makes me feel very unstable, too. I am thinking 44's. It has heavy suburban diff's in it already, so Im hoping it'll support big tires like that.
    The truck is basically a blank canvas. It has very little rot, a stock inline 6, and basically everything else stock.
    It is a very good deal. The guy says he's selling it because he has no time, but I think he has health troubles. He just sold his boat and his Ford truck. The only mod he really did on the Blazer was the lift. It's still sitting on stock suburban 235's (very funny looking). He's selling all the parts to complete the lift with the truck; new pitman arm, dual shocks all around, new tie rod, new brake hoses, new e-brake cable, etc., except the drive shafts. He's also throwing in an unassembled roll cage, and custom cut and fitted (but not installed) floor panels.
    I can handle the work the truck requires, I'm not new to auto repair/mods. My plans for it are removing the body lift (still debating it), swap in a 350, do a nose upgrade to the 89-91 style during the engine swap (I love that grille style, and now it's oultined on ColoradoK5 for me!), and then repaint it. Then a winch, custom bumper, grill guard, etc. It will never be finished, but that's what I have planned right now (right, before I even own it).
    There are not really any places to wheel around here that require any effort (barely any that require 4 wheel drive), but I plan to head for Pennsylvania and New Jersey to do some forest trail riding. There's also a local club here that does some weekend runs, I imagine out of state. So basically, it's going to be an off road truck, that I want to look nice, too.
    I'm in NY right now, and I gotta say, you Colorado folk have some nice lookin' trucks! My old boss just moved there, and keeps saying she's going to hire me. Every time I look at the trail pictures, I get a little bit closer... We have nothing like the landscape you guys have, so our trucks stay a little too clean to be all that much fun.

I love the site, I've been coming here for a year or so now (I think), but just made a username today.

Anyway, I've been looking for a project truck, not necessarily one that's ready to go, and this '80 is the one. Can't beat the price...

Thanks for the posts, sorry for the long reply.

Does anyone know the names of those drive shaft companies chevy4x4 mentioned?

Thanks!

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

7. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I would definetly ditch the 6" body lift. Anything over 3" is unsafe. What Axles does it have? If you plan on 44s, it should have at least 1 ton axles, if not 3/4 ton. You can tilt the pinion of the rear axle up and use a driveshaft with a cv joint at the case side to prevent vibration at the rear, but the frontend will have to be cut and turned to get the proper pinion angle without afecting caster. This is done by drilling out the welds the hold the tubes in the pumpkin, turning it up a few degrees, re-welding the tubes, and correcting the spring pads. A 10" lift with Bushwacker cut-out flares should clear 44s, if not you can use an ORD 2" body lift.

Oh yeah, where are you planning on going off-road in New Jersey? I live in the northeastern part and most (if not all) of the trails in the north of the state were closed. Are you going to south jersey? Where are there trails in PA?</font color=blue>

http://www.chrisd71k5.coloradok5.com <font color=blue>Updated!</font color=blue>

8. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

Dude, I don't want to spoil your dreams or anything, but I would pass on this Blazer. Anybody who installs a 6" body lift in any 4x4 should have their head examined. If they did that, I'm sure they made other poor decisions on other areas of the Blazer. Also, you said it had a stock inline 6 under the hood.... do you seriously think that will power 44" tires you are planning on using, let alone 35"ers. I would spend my money elsewhere ......I bet you'd be glad you did. I don't mean to sound like a father figure or anything, It just sounds like one big headache after another if you were to buy it.

L8r,

.Riz.

9. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

How much is he asking for it ?? Do you have any pictures you could post ? I'd still like to see what you're dealing with .

Sorry, I didn't see the part on your second post about a 350 engine swap.

L8r,

.Riz.

10. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Ratch, I'd consider something bigger than a 350 for 44's man. At least a 383 for the torque. Takes a lot of umph to make those behemoths move. I knew a guy, built up an early eighties K10, did it all right other than one thing. He had 1 ton axles, an NP 205, a TH400, full 12 inches of lift, minorly trimed the fenders so the 44's would fit, fender flares, cut out all the rust and replaced it with new metal, stripped it down to bear metal and then repainted it, undercoated it and rhino lined the bed. Very sharp looking truck. However, he put a slightly warm 350 in there. About 300 hp and 350 ft/lbs of torque. Thing couldn't get out of it's own way and got horrible gas mileage. The engine had to work very hard just to move the tires, so it never really cruised. He ended up selling it to this kid I went to school with, and he dropped in a mild 454. Gas mileage went up! Just thought you should know that. Besides, it is an empty canvas, and you could do some pretty cool stuff to it. All kinds of possiblities. 502, 454, 427, turbocharged 6.5L diesel, 500 Caddy, 455 Buick, lots of stuff. I say go for it, but you need a bigger engine. Hope this helps.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Gibson, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's

11. Andreas

Andreas 1/2 ton status

I think a 350 can hack it with 44" tires, as long as you gear it right. And that´s waaaay up there (numerically), above 5.13:1 if possible. I´ve driven a K5 with 44" Gumbo Mudders, tired 350 and 3.07:1 in my axles (yup, you read right. 3.07:1!!). Needless to say, the transfercase was parked in low forever. It hummed along ok, considering the 350 was worn out beyond recognition. F.ex the cam lobes were pretty much non-existing and I couldn´t get the lifters out from the block without hammering with a brass-rod and a hammer from underneath (crank-side, so to speak).
    Needless to say a bigblock will perform better, but as I said; if you gear it right you should be fine. The 6" body lift, now that´s plain scary....[​IMG]

Andreas

406cui of pure sh*t[​IMG]

12. ratch

ratch Registered Member

Hey all,

No pictures yet, but I'm borrowing a digital camera next week, so I'll try to post one.
    I was going to go with a 350 'cause it's such a common engine, I figure if I blow it up, I can get another one quick without having to change a lot. A big block would make more sense, though. Thanks to everyone for the input, I'm pretty much set on removing the body lift now. I'm also thinking of 40's instead of 44's, too. The truck is pretty much stock, except for the lift. It's as if the guy started customizing the truck, and lost interest or ran out of money. He says he doesn't have time for it anymore, but I think he may be sick. It comes with a ton of new (new) parts for the lift. The whole shebang will cost me $500. I keep thinking of stuff I'll need to change or replace, and I remember it'll be something he already showed me in the back of the truck, waiting for install.
    If I get it tomorrow, I don't expect it to be road or off-road worthy for a year or so, so even if I don't finish it, I know I can part it out for more than I pay for it. I would like to get it yard-driveable the day I get it, though. I want to fix the rot and primer it right away, too, but then sand and repaint it when the mechanical stuff is finished.
    I may be moving my family to the Milford PA area, and I used to take my old K5 on the soft trails around there. I didn't know the Jersey trails were closing, I just figured they'd always be there... I really hope there's something still around that area in five years, that's about when my wife will let me take my son four wheeling.
    Thanks for the input everyone, It's opinions from experienced guys that I'm looking for. Once I get the truck, I'm sure I'll be in here a lot asking for more opinions from the pros.
    (Just so you guys know, I don't have or make very much money, and if I ever do, I don't think my wife will let me spend it on truck stuff, so this project is expected to be very long-term).

13. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Where have you been off-road in NJ? Pine Barrens? Do you know of anything in the northern part? I thought they would be open for ever but that park ranger said "nope, not no more" [​IMG]. Oh well, time to move [​IMG]</font color=blue>

http://www.chrisd71k5.coloradok5.com <font color=blue>Updated!</font color=blue>

14. ratch

ratch Registered Member

Biggray71,
    I didn't mean to make it sound like I've been on the Jersey trails, I've just heard a lot about them from local guys around here, and barely remember being off road in Jersey as a kid (and loving it), so started thinking of them as the tri-states off roading spot. Too bad I'll never get to ride them.
    I don't remember the name of the road, but it runs through Milford PA down the Delaware, and there are a bunch of turnoffs. Usually, they're not much unless there's some decent snow or rain, or you're willing to scratch up your paint on the brush and hack through the hunting grounds. There're a couple more places I've found just driving around about 40-50 miles from Milford, that are sort of unmaintained forest roads with some decent obstacles. Unfortunately, there're no trails like the ones pictured up here. In fact, you can probably maintain a speed through most of them.
    I really plan to go further west and north when I build a more durable vehicle, like the '80 K5. I also want to join a club or get some other off roaders together to go. I didn't have enough faith in my '88 due to the rust all over it, to take it on the real heavy rides. There's also a club here that goes on big weekend rides. Once I have a vehicle I trust through bigger obstacles, I'm going to join them and ride with them.

15. ratch

ratch Registered Member

One simple question...

16. ratch

ratch Registered Member

I meant to ask too, where do you go right now? Is there anyplace to go left?