Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

16 oz bottle Mini Torch

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by Mudbone, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Mudbone

Mudbone Registered Member

I am looking for a small torch to carry in my dd truck tool box. I want to be able to do light welding with it. This is nice but its way too much to carry around all the time. I also found this one that uses 16 oz disposable bottles. Obviously it won't weld as thick, and I think I can cut with the first one but not the second one. However its smaller and no regulators to worry about damaging. No messing with refills, Fuel is relatively easy to find. Are there any other alternatives to these two? Something in between or a beefier version of the 16 oz bottle one? Is it possible to get a nicer mini torch, say like this Victor J-40 or J-28 along with a tip and still run it off 16 oz bottles? There actually a mini cutting head for those Victor torches. Would I be able to cut with MAPP and O2? If this is do-able, where would I get the bottle tap valves for the disposable bottles?

2. darenofears

darenofears Registered Member

Mapp and o2 will cut

Second one will cut at least light gauge metals never really tried anything thicker than 1/8 steel

3. Dallin

Dallin 1/2 ton status

You can cut with acetylene, mapp, or propane. You need to have a cutting torch though. It would be nice to have a small torch on the trail. I'm sure there's a way to attach a regular torch to the small bottles. I'll have to think about it more.

4. Mudbone

Mudbone Registered Member

There is a cutting head for those Victor J series mini torches. Cutting head. Welding head. The two issues are, first where to get the regulators for the 16 oz bottles. The fuel one will be easier to find. However the O2 regulator is apparently a different design and I haven't been able to find anyone selling it by itself. (BTW in my first post when I mentioned "no regulators" I was refering to the standard type with 2 gauges, which are easily damaged. The 16 oz bottle regulators are basicly valves.) The other issue is how quickly will you drain a set of bottles? I could see carrying around 2 of each bottle but after that you might as well just get one of the Tote-a-Torch rigs. See the first link in my first post.

5. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

I was looking at both yesturday at Home Depot. The 16oz looks like a 20 minute use time by the package descriptions. That could get pricey on new bottles.

The larger one is $20.00 cheaper at HD.