Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

16" vs 16.5" Wheels

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k2-k5, Apr 7, 2004.

1. k2-k5

k2-k5 1/2 ton status

16\" vs 16.5\" Wheels

Is one wheel better then the other?

I was told the 16" have a better lip design and will help hold the bead better at low pressures. Can anyone verify this?

Also will 16" wheels clear Dana 60 calipers ok? Or would I need the extra 1/4" on the radius?

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Re: 16\" vs 16.5\" Wheels

17's are gaining popularity with tire mfg's now!
    Bill

3. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

I have read many times that yes, the 16.5 does NOT work as well at low pressure, though I have no practical experience with them. Yes, 16 will clear calipers on a D60.

4. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

16" clear D60's fine.

5. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Yes, 16" wheels do have a safety bead that holds much better than 16.5"....and yes, 16" will clear D60 calipers with no mods at all. In fact many D60 trucks came with 16" rims from the factory. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

16" and 16.5" wheels are both gainin in popularity. 16 being more common however. 16.5" are becomming more and more popular (H1/h2). i dont know if there are any other manufacturers that include that size for a stock sizing however.H2's also came with 17" tires, and all the truck manufacturers are making big ass tires.

depends on how large you want the tires to be- 16" wheels are a little bit limited from the "retail" distributers for excess of 35". However, readily avaliable from mail order.

Thats just the way it is here.

7. k2-k5

k2-k5 1/2 ton status

Thanks all for confirming this. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    16" and 16.5" wheels are both gainin in popularity. 16 being more common however. 16.5" are becomming more and more popular (H1/h2). i dont know if there are any other manufacturers that include that size for a stock sizing however.H2's also came with 17" tires, and all the truck manufacturers are making big ass tires.

depends on how large you want the tires to be- 16" wheels are a little bit limited from the "retail" distributers for excess of 35". However, readily avaliable from mail order.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree about the comment regarding 16.5's becoming "more" popular. They are actually being phased out and very few tire companies are coming out with new sizes for the 16.5 rims. Also, no new vehicle has come from the factory with 16.5 rims since about the 70's, with the exception of the H1. The H2 comes with 17" rims, and I believe the H1 are/will be converted over to 17's also.....especially considering that Goodyear has stopped production of the 16.5 Hummer tires except to support the current military needs.

9. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree about the comment regarding 16.5's becoming "more" popular. They are actually being phased out and very few tire companies are coming out with new sizes for the 16.5 rims. Also, no new vehicle has come from the factory with 16.5 rims since about the 70's, with the exception of the H1. The H2 comes with 17" rims, and I believe the H1 are/will be converted over to 17's also.....especially considering that Goodyear has stopped production of the 16.5 Hummer tires except to support the current military needs.

[/ QUOTE ] Yea there lossing popularity... unless you have bead locks 16.5's dont take low air pressure at all, when you chance tires you let all the air out and then have to break the bead off the wheel with a 16.5 it just falls off when the air runs out /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

10. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

16.5 sukk ass, ask GarrttDodge... when we go naches to whell he pops beads like theyre goin outta style, huge pain /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif stayyyyyyyyyyyy awayyyyyyyyyyyy /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif