Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

16" VS 17" tires/wheels

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CK5, Aug 17, 2000.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

16\" VS 17\" tires/wheels

OK, I noticed that BFG came out with a 37x12.5 17" AT, not sure if they have a MT or not in that size and Interco (Super swamper) is coming out with a 37x12.5 SSR in 15",16" and 17" sizes. It seems like tire companies are jumping on the 17" band wagon, anybody know other sizes in the 17" range or if the back spacing on the new 17" rims will work on older Chevy's as well if they have the internal bead lip?

[​IMG]
    5,000 Pounds of American Rolling Steel

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Re: 16\" VS 17\" tires/wheels

I dont know, but i think there woul dbe too much back spacing on the newer style rims.

Mike
    1982 GMC Jimmy - <font color=green>Emmett</font color=green>
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I'm not real high on the idea of 17" rims. Hell, I don't even like having to go to 16's, but I'm gonna. I don't want to keep losing sidewall height. I think 17" rims are getting a little too big for my likeing. I think with more and more new trucks being released with 17" rims (ala Dodge Offroad) it has created a surge in 17" rim frenzy. I'm hoping this is a fad, and would like to see more offerings in a 16".

Just my $0.02

Kyle
    89K5

4. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Man, I agree, I wish they would come out with more 16" because that is what I run and they have the inner bead lip. If someone could come out with a 16.5 rim with the inner bead lip they could make a killing because of the tire selection.

[​IMG]
    5,000 Pounds of American Rolling Steel

5. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Steve

Regarding the 16.5 with a bead lip, I was told it's not possible by a rep from Stockton Wheel (I think that's the company). He said that the 16.5 tires are molded differently and would not fit over the bead, even if you had a 16.5 with the bead.
    I agree too that the 17" tire selection is quickly out-doing the 16" tire selection. [​IMG] Another one I saw at the National Tire & Wheel site but now it's gone was a Bridgestone tire in the 37x12.5x17. I'll try to find it again to confirm.
    By the way, how many miles are on your Swamper Radials and how are they wearing? I am definitely not going smaller than 36" tires and would like to start with even a 37" or 38" tire like the new 37x12.5x16 SSR you mentioned. Only problem is the poor mileage (wear) reputation they seem to have.

Brian
    89KBlazer

6. istallion88k5

istallion88k5 1/2 ton status

You know why they are doing it, cause the new Dodge Rams 4x4 editions all come with 17" wheels from the factory now, I'd bet that's why.

If it aint a Chevy don't raise it up!

7. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Burns me casue there are more offerings in the wider tire range for a 16.5" than a 16". And don't get me started on my quest to find 16x10 steel rims. Stockton is the only place so far. Discount shows some on their web page but their email was so fargin cryptic, I'm not usre if they've got em or not. Plus I don't have a discount anywhere close. I think somebody could make a 16.5" with the bead thing, if they wanted to. The trick is that the market is fluxuating so much that you never know what's gonna be popular day to day, therefor nobody will make a commitment to one particular size. 15's will always be big casue Jeeps run em, but 90% of new vehicles have 16's. I think they need to quit trying to be the latest and biggest and build more for what people have.

Kyle
    89K5

8. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

A 17" wheel has some advantages in certain areas, mainly when it comes to handling on the road. This is because you can have a taller tire while still keeping a smaller amount of sidewall to flex when cornering on the road or pulling a trailer.....but I also think 15 or even 16" rims are better off-road because they allow more sidewall flex. BTW, the new ProComp tires have a 33x12.50r17 listed.
    Another interesting thing I have found is that (at least some) 16.5" rims on Hummers have the safety bead lip just like the 15s or 16s. We had a civilian model at work for testing and had the chance to dismount the tires. It had the optional factory one piece aluminum rims and 37x12.50r16.5 Goodyear Wrangler GS-A's and the rims had the bead lip. We still have the tires laying around but I can't tell just by looking at them is the lip is molded differently (don't have any 16.5's to compare it to).....just thought this was interesting.

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

The original intent of the .5 rims was to make sure tubeless tires didn't end up on rims for tube tires and vice versa. Then some companys started making tubeless 16.5's tires. Hence no bead for the .5 rims. They have some angle at the bead seat where it is squared off on the 16's and 17's.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/