Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

160 to 1.8

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jjlaughner, Aug 16, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

After 8months of calling into SBC DSL b!tching about slow speeds they FINALLY got my account setup right.

Last week when I had a 44sec download at 160Kbps
    Just now Tonight the same DL was 5.3sec at 1.8 Mbps /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

ITS ABOUT TIME /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif
    5.13MB video downloaded in 33 Sec /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Those of you on Dialup... CALL in and see about DSL, we are Paying $26/mo (for the first year, $39.99 after that)
    Its MORE than worth it, esp if your paying 20-25$/mo now for dialup.
    If we could get it we would have Cable Modem but its not here yet.

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I have cable and it is so much faster same 5mb download in about 10 sec waaahhhhoooo
    sorry had to brag /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -Chris

3. jjlaughner

OH I know... I installed Cable modems... they are not avaliable in my area though /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
    We use to see 2.4 and 3.2MB test speeds one some of the installs. WAY WAY faster. But 1.8Mbps beats the sh!t out of my 26kbps on dialup /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

we have the slowest cable, i thinks its 2.0Mbps. we pay $40 a month, it was $45 'till we got our own modem.

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i have cable i pay $45 and i get 256k up and 6.5megs down /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

6. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Those of you on Dialup... CALL in and see about DSL, we are Paying $26/mo (for the first year, $39.99 after that)
    Its MORE than worth it, esp if your paying 20-25$/mo now for dialup.
    If we could get it we would have Cable Modem but its not here yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have checked into the options for high speed internet. Cable and DSL are not available where I live. The only options I have are microwave or satellite and the last time I checked on those, It would cost around $500 to set it all up and at least $50/month after that. I decided I can live with dialup since it's only $11/month.

7. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

who can i look at my speed??
    i have a cable setup with network card / cat 5 --- i know the usb is slower

and i have internet phone to 35 a month and i am saving big monney from my old ph bills

8. mudhog

[ QUOTE ]
    i have a cable setup with network card / cat 5 --- i know the usb is slower

and i have internet phone to 35 a month and i am saving big monney from my old ph bills

[/ QUOTE ]

test your speed

9. mudhog

i just changed a few settings and uncapped my cable modem and check out my speed now
    [​IMG]

10. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

What the... How the... /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Are you the only person on your node?

11. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Run the test then hit the back button once...

12. mudhog

[ QUOTE ]
    Run the test then hit the back button once...

[/ QUOTE ]
    you are correct lol but here is a true honest test result
    [​IMG]

13. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.nex-tech.com/inet/services/connspeed.asp

http://speed.sprintbbd.net/speedtest.cgi

I used these two

YO, you better be carefull upcapping the modem. Some guys in Indy done that when I worked there and they where giving free wireless access to their neighbors, pulling some serious bandwidth. They both got busted, 10K in fines and a couple years in jail. Some cable companies dont play well with uncapping the modem. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

(its freggin cool though, I've seen a couple /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif)

14. mudhog

[ QUOTE ]
    YO, you better be carefull upcapping the modem. Some guys in Indy done that when I worked there and they where giving free wireless access to their neighbors, pulling some serious bandwidth. They both got busted, 10K in fines and a couple years in jail. Some cable companies dont play well with uncapping the modem. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    I WAS JUST JOKING ABOUT IT BEING UNCAPED /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif that is the speed i get from comcast

15. jjlaughner

DAMN! Thats fast. Some of the quickest we have seen not-uncaped is in the 5MB range, maybe one or two close to 6 but I've never seen 7MB cable connection, you must right next door to the cable station /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    Thats cool man. I've see some people uncap the modem and get about 9mb. As long as your not file serving or sharing a connection with several people you can probley get away with it. Comcast in Indy started capping off the setup speeds (up and down) because of that.

16. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    I have checked into the options for high speed internet. Cable and DSL are not available where I live. The only options I have are microwave or satellite and the last time I checked on those, It would cost around $500 to set it all up and at least $50/month after that. I decided I can live with dialup since it's only $11/month.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah for a long while there was nothing around here except dialup. Then the dialup companies started offering wireless DSL (which there specs are not much faster than a GOOD 56K dialup). They wanted $600 for the equipment, $300 install, $300 for the contract... PLUS $79.99 a month /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

I laughed at the guy up hear that told me that. We had dialup here (through the same company) since about 98. Finailly on whim I just called the SBC yahoo DSL number and sure enough there where taking orders for here. So it never hurts to call like once a month to the phone company and to dsl places.

Checkout DSL Reports type in your Zip and see if anyone has left feedback for your area. It will give the names of the surrounding companies and what services might be avaliable. I cheked it out right after I got my DSL to test the speeds and seen two other people with new DSL setups leave comments about slow speeds. Then now there are several comments good and bad about local services.