Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gotmud?, Feb 26, 2006.

1. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

Last edited: Mar 3, 2006
  2. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

He got tired of being ridiculed....................

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I wish it were that simple. I think a lot of the Brotherhood got tired of hearing about drumsets and cartoons in virtually every post he made. Correct me if I'm wrong.......

4. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

No correction there.

5. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Nevermind, I don't want to start ****.

6. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

You can't condition a kid to go through life on a foundation of sympathy

7. Can Can

Y'know what? Every single piece of advice I gave to Noah got completely ignored. I tried my best to help steer him in the right direction instead of just writing him off, but nothing came of it.

So it wasn't like I sat there making fun of him. In fact, a LOT of people offered him advice, which he basically pretended not to hear as well. I'm willing to bet that most people just got sick and tired of wasting their time on him.

8. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

sadly that what seems to be happening to kids in our school systems these days. its like they are kept in a bubble so as their feelings are never hurt and they are never let down or saddened:rolleyes::doah:

9. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

It wasn't terminal- he's going to live. And yes, a certain amount of pity is expected, but it only goes so far. When do you stop? 20? 25? 40? It's time to cut it off, and for him to face the world.

10. Resurrection_Joe

No, sympathy for an illness if fine, don't let that let you treat him any different outside medical scope.

If he's being an ass, you call him an ass. Not pat him on the head.

He survived, so do you want him to go on as a great person or a whining asshole?

He can do it, it's not that hard, certainly easier than chemo and needle jabs all day.

It's the same all around. You help the kid with the broken legs when he needs it, but you don't pander to him like a baby.

11. Can Can

His condition was not terminal.......:deal:

Nobody EVER told Noah to suck it up. In fact he had lots of support during his battle. However, being sick doesn't mean you can say stupid things without getting called on them.

Regardless, I don't think anyone here wished Noah ill will. IMHO he dug his own hole, and wouldn't accept help filling it in.

12. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Better said, RJ. Can Can too.

13. Resurrection_Joe

Pity is a hard coin to spend

14. Can Can

I think a lot of folks felt sorry for Noah, and yes, to a degree he deserved our support and pity. However, more than a few times he said some things that warranted a peepee slap, and when said slap was administered he either sulked or refused to acknowledge his screw up. That act got old really fast, and eventually people took the gloves off and told him EXACTLY what they thought. I guess he couldn't handle it.....

It's too bad. I hate to see ANYONE leave CK5.

15. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Pitty parties suck they just bring everyone down.:(

16. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

you said peepee

HA

17. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

its even funnier to hear him say it, rather than see it typed.

everyone else has pretty much hit the nail on the head. at some point, you have to snap back into the real world, pull yourself from mommy's teat, and take a little bit of responsibility for your life. buying toys when you've got bill collectors beating down your door is not the responsible thing to do.

18. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well, I only will post this one comment on the subject, and I won't be drawn into any arguments or discussions. There is constructive criticism, and there are other ways. I saw a lot of his posts turned into a type of personal attacks that, on another member, would never have been tolerated. Some of his posts were turned into page after page of torment. That said, I intend on dropping the subject and not reading any additional posts on this subject, as it will only lead to aggravation on my part, and I do my best to be a positive person and treat others as I wish to be treated. :wink1:

19. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

20. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I gotta agree with this. There were threads that could have been handled much better than to personally attack him. Some people clearly disagreed, yet understood his perspective and gave him firm and well spoken advice, the majority called him names, told him to STFU and grow up, and took little potshots at him. A group of grown men still not over the "pick on the weak guy just because you can" junior high school bandwagon mentality. No one says you have to post, and not everyone takes words the way you would.

If his anime habit were something "cooler" to everyone else, and he had better social skills, I think he would have been treated much differently for the same actions. There are members who regularly post things I think are flat out stupid/attention-whoring, and no one says boo to them. I think Noah got stomped on cause he was perceived as wierd (or weak) for some of his eccentricities, and because it was easy to.

I don't think he played the pity card like you guys make it sound like he did, either. He shared his happy times with the board (I.E. "I'm cancer free"), and he shared his crappy times (I.E. "Chemo tomorrow"). The guy obviously had a lot more crappy times to share than most of us do normally, and a lot less normal times to share than most of us do normally. I didn't agree with him all the time and I thought he was a little unusual, but I was still willing to treat him like a peer.