Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

165amp alternator

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RootBreaker, Mar 8, 2005.

1. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Well I may be getting a 165 amp alternator dirt cheap..... from a 1990 chevy truck....
    anyone know if the 1990 has the right harness plug as my 78?? or can I use an aftermarket plug to get it to work on my 78? like the trans sport??

2. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I don't know as to what style plug it is but the newer GM's use the pontiac style. I am sure it will be easy to plug in.

3. RootBreaker

oh yeah... also if I do 2... able to mount them to the motor... how do you electrically hook them up?
    is 2 needed?
    example... 12k mm winch draws 400+ amps... well 2 of these babies would keep er goin :cool1:

4. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

It will probably have a CS style plug. You can get an adapter from Delco.

5. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

I just did this for my truck, you have the knife connector delco style, get a CS style and just splice it into the old harness, brown - Gauges, Red - Exciter wire, Black - Ground. I paid $6 at autozone for it, if you need the part # lemme know.

I dont think you'd need 2 alt's to run the winch, just to be safe I'd wire it up and tes tit out, see what yuo think, if yer lacking maybe consider it.

I also suggest some 4 gauge from the battery to the alternator without a doubt!

6. RootBreaker

if it isnt a bother.. yeah the autozone p/n would be appreciated as I have one right around the corner from me....:grin:
    well the guy doesnt have the alternator...

so I was going to purchase the pontiac trans sport one that is 140 amp... well I went to car-part.com and found one... 1994 chevy lumina van.... so I checked advanceautoparts.com and it shows the same part number for replacement parts between both of those trucks...

I know that alternators are cheap - $100 but I am trying to keep it cheap as I just started working and dont get a check for another 2 weeks

$28 to my door for this used and guaranteed working alt!!!! plus if it dies makes a good core

I love car-part.com as I have also got my eldorado calipers from there shipped to my door for $45!!!!! :cool1:

7. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Therse 2 type sof CS pigtails, Internal fan and External fan, I wouldnt worry about the internal fan plug...I owuld take a pic of mine but my camera battery is dead...unless you wanna see i ton my webcam LOL.

Made by Caltherm, #08627
    Sorry, It was advanced auto, got 'em backwards :grin:

8. RootBreaker

I searched advanceautoparts.com and it shows up as $17 and no pic.. is this the right one???
    thanks
    Jeff

9. RootBreaker

Ok so I went and bought this connector...
    So cut the red and tie red to it...
    cut black and tie black to it

however... the brown you list as to the gauges...??? do I need to hook this up?
    my current alt doesnt have that...
    they both have the other singe wire that goes to the stud and nut on the back...
    thanks for the help on this....
    Jeff

10. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I read somewhere that you have to put a certain rated resistor into the circuit -- Check into that as it would suck to blow your electrical system...