Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

168 tooth flywheel

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Beanz2, Apr 21, 2002.

1. Beanz2

Beanz2 Newbie

Hey guys, I'm new here and signed up to ask some SBC questions. I'm in the middle of swapping an NV4500 into a 350 powered Land Cruiser. The motor is out of a 1969 Chevelle and it has a 153 tooth flywheel. I mainly rockcrawl and try to stay away from mud ( I hate cleaning up after mud runs).

Advance Adapters who made my bellhousing (to move the clutch arm to the left side) said I need to run their modified Centerforce 11" clutch. I've ordered the clutch cover and plate at their recommendation.

Now, I wonder if I can run a 168 tooth flywheel in place of my original flywheel? Are these the 40 lbs units? Or are there 30 lbs 168 flywheels too? I also got a 168 tooth flywheel when I bought the tranny, but it has the newer crankshaft bolt pattern (off a 1993 K1500, I think) so it won't fit my 1969 motor.

Those questions asked, where can I get a big flywheel? Someone here has one they're not using? Can I have a shop weld and redrill the 168 tooth flywheel I got? It seems to have a counterweight off one side.

Thanks,

Dave

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Call AA and see what they recommend you to run for the flywheel.

BTW, you want the heavier weight flywheel. The lighter weight ones are better for higher RPM and speed. The heavier one gives you more "feel" for torque, which is what you want.

3. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I have only been able to find the 30 lb ones. 30 lb from GM, 30 lb from Centerforce, and 30 lb from Leods.

Good luck.

4. Beanz2

Beanz2 Newbie

Thanks for the replies. AA's manual says either 153 or 168 tooth flywheels. There are other guys replying (from another list) that he has 2 168 tooth FWs that weigh 28-30 lbs. I guess teeth count doesn't indicate weight?

Dave